Transmission problem, no lower gears any help here?

Rollin20z

Registered
Buddy brought his 07 Busa by a little bit ago with a problem. He said he was riding down the interstate yesterday heading to Nashville just cruising along 85-90(normal speeds on that highway) and came up on some traffic ahead slowed to almost a stop. He went to go downshifting and got as low as 4th and it wouldn't shift any lower. Now it won't go into 1,N,2, or 3, just 4,5,6. Put it up on a stand and tried running and off to no avail either. When running and you try to go to 3rd it seems to almost but just not quite get there and then when you release pressure off shifter it will what sounds like clunk back into 4th, or if you hold the shifter down and release clutch it will click like it is try for 3rd but just can't quite reach it.

I'm no trans guy so it has got me stumped. Shift fork? Syncro gear? Any ideas? I know there has to be a few people on here that knows exactly what it is just by my description.

Any help?

Posted in general section but got no help....

Sounds like a possible bent shift fork. If syncro gone I would think it would grind. IMO only way to know for sure is tare in down and have a look. Good luck

Post ***** from Canada

miles? I would go with bent shift fork or shift rod also. when my 06 starting slipping It had 40k on it. the forks were worn, and had a bent shaft. replaced it with brocks.

Bike has 12k miles on it. And yeah no grinding or anything else,4,5,6 are fine. What is usually the main cause for a problem like that? Hot dogging?Clutchless shifting? Anything in peticular? I know he said he was just riding along but i can't see something like that just happening. ???
Thanks for the input guys.

Back