THIS COULD SAVE YOU $£000's Cracked starter cog pivot SOLUTION!

gardian1701

Registered
Im Writing this as a thread so everyone notices it, sorry if its in the wrong place or anything but this could save a whole load of heartache!

My starter gear wend pop! started her up and got a grinding spinning noise. Took her to the dealer, bad bad bad!

Pic of same problem can be found below!

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-problems/3079-word-wise-4.html

My local dealer fixed it!

I couldn't get it welded in the conventional way because it would get the engine too hot and bugger up everything else! I could get the bottom section taken out but it all would have cost the same as a new second hand engine!

The solution?

He cut off the broken half of the pivot hole and drilled the hole bigger, put a fatter steel tube into the hole to hold the cog spindle at the same distance as the original piece of aluminium, he then used JB Weld and packed round the outside of the steel tube to make sure it holds in place, Forever!

I presume this job wont cost more than 3 hours labour and the price of the Putty JB Weld.

I am awsomely greatfull. I cashed an ISA to get this bike. Thinking of selling her thow due to having so many damned problems! :banghead: Cant find any problem pages for the Honda Blackbird! Ughhum!?! ::11

Thanks for posting. looks like it's in the right place. Maybe an admin will pin it for you. Did the dealer have any ideas why this happened ? What year is the bike ? How many miles are on the bike ? Any mods ? High compression pistons, big bore kit ?

Copletely stock, its an 02. Apparently, reading the .Org, i found it was a 'Service bulletin' for suzuki dealers back then. Affected a lot of early models. It wasnt an official recall, but like my other post where the replies mention an extra ring to fit over the part which may break. Everyone should do this mod before it happens to them.

happened to me..its when you try to start it with a low battery and open the throttle..starter kick back..i didnt do it.someone else did..and i had over 500 in getting it fixed..fml

Back