00 wont crank

jagueri

Registered
I just aquired a 2000 with 9050 miles that has sat up alot. The fuel pump was changed a will back. My friend said the tank was cleaned but they forgot to unplug breather lines. He said it would run for about 30 min. and die. Well when I got it I put some wire through holes sprayed kroil in them and it seems like they opened. Put the tank back on and now it wont start at all. So far, fuel flows out the lines from the tank good, i ran the pump in varsol, opened the injectors and sprayed varsol through them. Still nothing. So i changed and checked the plugs and there is some spark. However, i can run my finger in throttle bodies after cranking and they feel dry and I dont smell fuel. Not sure where to go from here, but it seems like there is some common issue. Any help would be appreciated thanks. Also, just to see what would happen I sprayed a blast of starter fluid before cranking and nothing. Seems like even a little spark would cause something to happen.:banghead:

Welcome to the oRg. If you have all three requirements, fuel, fire, and air, it should start. Please be patient, someone will be along soon that can give you something to look for. What has me confused is the fact that if you shoot starting fluid in it still wont fire. Are you sure you are getting spark? Has is ever been on its side, tip over switch?

Can you manually reset tipover switch? It has been on its side but way back. It has run after that. Also, I checked crankshaft sensor and I am not getting the 3 volts, but I am not sure I am checking it right. It seems like right when I fire it up it wants to crank for a mili second but then nothing.

Not sure about the crankshaft sensor. The tip over switch should be under the tank if I remember right, I am just not sure about your model. Make sure the bracket didnt break and its not hanging by the wire.

I took the tipover sensor out and something is rattling around inside not sure if it is supposed to be like that.

Just took filter box off and sprayed a little ether over the top of the throttle bodies and nothing. Seems like even the slightest spark something should have happened. What is the best way to test for fire to plug. Last time I took them out one by one and touched them to frame.

ok something new and good i guess. i put about a teaspoon of fuel in each t.b. and it fired when i opened the throttle and would choke out when throttle was closed. going to put a voltmeter on injectors tomorrow to see if they are opening.

Just pull the injectors and clean them. Definitely check and make sure they're getting power, but I'm sure they are.

Sounds like your pump went fubar and is not throwing anything to the motor. You can check and make sure it's getting power, but if there's no fuel in the lines, something is up with it. Check/clean the pump filter and the tank mesh filter at the petcock. (you have an external pump? I forget the years that changed)

A bike could always use new plugs, so why not change them as well? Like $8.

Make SURE you have no lines kinking. I had issues with that on mine.

if the crankshaft sensor is not working will the bike get fire but no fuel? looking at the manual all the readings i am getting is showing its bad. is there anything electrical that will let bike get fire but not open injectors? thanks

if the crank sensor is bad you will not get any fire i dont think. check the fuel rail pressure.....either you have bad injectors or bad fuel pump...or plugged filters etc.

Back