Fuel leak - can't quite see it

topperdoggle

Registered
My bike is leaking fuel. I first noticed it when I filled up a couple of days ago and the fuel gauge dropped sharply the next day even though I'd barely ridden. Anyway, now it's at the stage where when the bike is running, the leak is very visible from the bottom of the bike.

So I took off the side fairing panels lifted the tank with the stay, and started the engine.

The foam on the bottom of the tank was a little wet on the right side (rider's point of view). I ran my fingers around the fuel pump to see if the gasket might be leaking, but I don't think it is. There is also a little moisture on the part which touches the tank foam when the tank is down - see ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting for an example. But it's not sopping wet or anything.

The leak *appears* to be coming from underneath the right of the two gold connectors displayed at ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (damn the autofocus focusing nearby).

But I'm not certain, it's really hard to tell for sure. So I think my concrete questions for anybody kind enough to read this far:
1. Do my explanation and photos lead to any specific "bad smell" (pun intended)? I mean, is there an obvious candidate or candidates here? I'm leaning towards replacing the fuel hoses.
2. How can I be more certain of the issue? I was thinking about removing the rear tank bolt and getting an accomplice to hold the tank level but higher up whilst the engine runs, then I might be able to see better than when the tank is up on the stay.

In a second, less-urgent-but-possibly-related issue, the two nozzles on the rear of the tank have no hoses attached. The thinner nozzle, I can see a hose for that, it's the breather that appears to exit in front of the right footpeg. But where should the hose for the thicker nozzle go?

the hoses at the rear are breather and over flow.

Hard to find a fuel leak over the net. All I would think to do it to clean it up real good and remove the foam piece (if you can) and ride the bike around the block then check it again.

...that is if it doesnt leak while just running. It might need more flow than idle to leak?

What is the big hose at the back supposed to be attached to? As for removing the foam piece, it's part of the tank and it's there for a reason.

I think it does need more flow than idle to leak, I have to rev it a bit to get the leak going.

I want to clarify something - I read the diagram wrongly. When I said:
"I ran my fingers around the fuel pump to see if the gasket might be leaking, but I don't think it is."
it was actually the bottom of the tank that I was referring to. The leak itself seems to be coming from the connector on the right in ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting, which is actually on the fuel pump.

You can put the pump boot back after searching for the leak....I would just get it out of the way for now. Are you sure the tank itself isnt leaking? Thats why I would also remove the heat shield from bottom of the tank. You can put it all back after looking for the leak.

Both hoses just dangle by the clutch cover. Both should attach to the back of the fuel tank and run down to the back of the clutch cover. They should already be tied up in the flexible holders at the bottom. You should have 2 nipples on the back of the tank.

ok...so you know where the leak is coming from.

Can you tighten the connector? I have a later model so I am not familair with the external pumps.

Back