Any clutch meisters out there....?

Tomo

Registered
Hi All, just bought my first (second hand) Busa and against my better judgement I'm lovin it long time...!!
Normally ride an unfaired Bandit 1200 and bought the Busa simply with the intention of doing some quarter mile runs and then selling it on but actually, I'm finding I rather like it.
Problem is, when you give it any more than gentle revs on a standing start the clutch grabs alarmingly. It just won't let you slip it. Doesn't misbehave other than from a standing start, doesn't slip at all, works fine on hard acceleration once its rolling, makes no difference if hot or cold.
The bike is a 99 40,000 miler and is in otherwise good condition and rides beautifully.
Could it be oil related - I haven't changed it yet and don't know what it's running.
Or is this likely to be more expensive....
I have to resolve it as not only will quarter mile runs at Santa Pod in 5 weeks be out of the question but I can't even roar majestically away from junctions......!!!!
Help?

If I understand correctly, you say your clutch is pretty much on/off regardless of lever modulation? That's pretty strange. Maybe your hydraulic fluid in the clutch master cylinder is overfilled?

Hi & thanks for your input.

The bike isn't modified so far as I am aware and tbh I wouldn't know a lock up clutch if I tripped over one... How would I know?

It functions absolutely normally until you raise the revs above perhaps 2500 rpm (ish) from a standing start in order to increase take off speed. I'm not talking about trying to 'launch' as in a drag start but simply a brisk road start. It just won't have it and I find myself grabbing the clutch a bit quick again and lowering the revs to stop it stalling/lurching amongst the traffic.

I've been riding a long time and did a day at Santa Pod with an old Fireblade earlier this year so I don't think it's me!! Least I hope not....

I will check the clutch hydraulic fluid level but how could that cause this problem?

I was thinking that if you have too much fluid, very little pressure from the lever would disengage the clutch, and any let off from that would cause it to re-engage. I suppose if that is the case, there would be a small window where it would slip, but maybe so minuscule that you can't really tell.

I've never rode a bile with a lock up, not sure how they would behave, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Just for ha-ha's, why don't you give APE a call and ask them what kind of rpm's their clutches lock at.

That would perhaps be interesting to know.... I guess it would be a lucky bonus if it happened to have a drag clutch but it's horrible on the road!

In the mean time I'll check the clutch fluid and do the oil & filter change over the next few days and see if any of that makes any difference.

I've read that early Busa's did suffer from clutch problems but I don't currently know what form the problems took...?

I was thinking that if you have too much fluid, very little pressure from the lever would disengage the clutch, and any let off from that would cause it to re-engage. I suppose if that is the case, there would be a small window where it would slip, but maybe so minuscule that you can't really tell.

I've never rode a bile with a lock up, not sure how they would behave, but I wouldn't rule it out.

surely the case if clutch mod hasn't been done.

and for god sake change your freaking oil...no matter what when you buy first thing you should do.

That would perhaps be interesting to know.... I guess it would be a lucky bonus if it happened to have a drag clutch but it's horrible on the road!

In the mean time I'll check the clutch fluid and do the oil & filter change over the next few days and see if any of that makes any difference.

I've read that early Busa's did suffer from clutch problems but I don't currently know what form the problems took...?

simply crappy plates... shouldn't be an issue if you use good oil and aren't dragging it.

99s had a prob with that , i have one and did the mod , you need the three plate ring mod from the 02 onwards if i remember correctly , it isnt expensive and works. A good suzuki dealer should know all about it . :thumbsup: if i remember it consists of two damper rings and one thicker clutch plate , look in the manual and compare the stacking of the 99 and 02 clutches and you will see the difference

Isn't it just the normal behaviour from the back torque limiter? I have it on my -00 and it's annoying but not a real problem, or is it?

Thanks for your time & knowledge guys!

The bike is a 40,000 mile 1999 RX and Delbert, it's interesting that you say you have one that did the same..... Did the clutch feel like it had become an on/off switch once you raised the revs much above tickover on take off? Would be great to know it was the same issue??

I'm happy pulling wheels out & doing bearing/brake rebuilds & general servicing (yes, I am changing the oil & filter - they are sat on the bench waiting..) but it has to be said that I'm a bit nervous of stripping the clutch on this fella - not really my area of expertise.... I'm not sure what is exactly come to think about it!

Maybe I'm just being a bit scaredy.....

I do want to run it at the strip though so clearly, the clutch needs to be sound and I have to get to the bottom of this.

Incidentally, Hellfire, perhaps like yourself I've owned & ridden more bikes than I can remember and I have never experienced this before. I've had clutches that slip and frayed cables and clutches that just don't work but never one that wouldn't allow you to slip it from a standstill at anything other than tickover revs and then work perfectly normally once yer rolling.

If yours is doing the same as mine then you are a better man than me for living with it!!

yes tomo as you said it was an on off switch (99 rx also ) you would get a horrible graunching sound with it too

it would catch me out from time to time , it was when i took it for annual inspection and the guy nearly binned it across his workshop i decided to sort it out .
i think the parts cost around £33 at the time & to be honest its dead easy to strip & install the mod ( about an hours work ) so its well worth looking in to , good luck

Hearing that there could be a fairly simple solution is the best news I've had this week!! Delbert, I thank you for sharing that with me and I can really imagine the unsuspecting tech trying to control it...

Interestingly, when I spoke to one of the techs at my local Suzuki main dealer (Crescent M/C) he claimed to have no knowledge of the problem or solution. But he did sound about 12... In fairness though, he did suggest bringing the bike out and letting one of the workshop guys experience the problem for a better diagnosys. A cynic might suggest that would be likely to lead to business I guess?

I might just do that tomorrow - out of interests sake...

let us know how you get on , if you have no luck i will try and find the part nos from my dealer for you :beerchug:

Incidentally, Hellfire, perhaps like yourself I've owned & ridden more bikes than I can remember and I have never experienced this before. I've had clutches that slip and frayed cables and clutches that just don't work but never one that wouldn't allow you to slip it from a standstill at anything other than tickover revs and then work perfectly normally once yer rolling.

If yours is doing the same as mine then you are a better man than me for living with it!!

Yep, been riding for 28 years, had numerous bikes and i've never had as much trouble as i've had since i bought this busa. It's not like i accept it and think it's fine i've just gotten so used to **** happening with this bike i'm happy as long as it doesn't explode.

Mine has this chattering feel to it even when i let go of the clutch between shifting gears when it's not at working temp, sometimes when warm too. I started wondering if the plates could be the issue but it feels like a smaller problem than all the noise and crap the btl and kickbacks are causing. The season's over here in a month or so and i'm hoping to find the cause for the kickbacks and clutch problems during the winter.

There are no alternatives to a busa for me so i'll just have to keep redirecting my paycheck to ebay B-)

That's unfortunate HF. Your colder, darker months will undoubtedly give you the opportunity for some investigation & an increase in your Ebay score..

It feels like the season is over in the UK today with leaden skies and pouring rain. Guess we've been spoilt lately though with an unusual amount of warm fair weather... Thank the Lord for global warming!

I've not managed to roll the bike out to Crescent yet (damn that work thing) Delbert but hope to do so over the next few days. Appreciate the offer of some more info and will let you know how it goes..

Yep, the first thing i´ll get is this, read about it somewhere: Hayabusa clutch mod by 4ACP Cycles - busa b-king drag mod

Then i´ll check all electric components and starter, fuelsystem etc. A few days back it was even a bit slow to start for the first time and it backfired, not just a kickback but it also backfired ?!?!

We´ve had a great summer here also but yesterday it started raining and it got colder, i usually don´t care but now i´m longing to pick the bike apart for once :alcoholic:

Back