Cut Wire...

Code Vision

Registered
Well, I was installing my Scorpio i800 system, and like a damned fool I cut the tail light and ground wires under the tail. I'm afraid to admit just what lead to me cutting the wires, so I'll just say that I cut them pretty close to the "bridge" or "connector" or whatever you call the male-female clip thingy that joins one set of wires to another.

By now you are probably gathering that I'm not an electrician, and had no business installing this alarm myself. Well! I'll have you know that after 9 brief hours of sweating, cursing, and short trips back and forth from the Walmart to buy the tools and supplies I didn't have already, I was able to get the alarm up and running, and the bike put back together without any extra parts lying around.

But I'm worried about just how long the splice-job I did with the two cut wires is going to hold up. I braided and twisted them, and gave them a few rounds of duct tape, but I'm afraid the vibrations from riding could cause them to come apart again, even with the slack I left in them after the install.

The shop is taking a look at it now, and will give me an estimate tomorrow, but the guy seemed to think that this is going to be an fairly expensive repair. I was surprised, I thought repairing/replacing these relatively short wires wouldn't be much of a chore to someone who knows what they're doing.

He mentioned that depending on the cost, I might be better off soldering and shrink-tubing the cut wires myself. But I'm still a little worn out from all the success I had with my last do-it-yourself adventure, and I'd hate to outdo myself in yet another experiment under the plastics on my new sled.

Any suggestions here? I think I can manage the alarm install again myself, now that I know what NOT to do...But I'm at a loss with the cut wiring thing, it might as well be open-heart surgery to me.

Thanks guys...

yep, solder and heat shrink. You can get the soldering iron at radio shack or any electronics store for around 20 bucks, heat shrink tubing is cheap at any automotive store. I never butt splice anything, always solder from now on.

you just cut the wire in half, right? I would just twist them up and put electrical tape around them and call them good.

Wire-splicing-should-be-done-carefully-and-thoroughly.jpg

You've already preped things just get a friend that has an iron and throw some tin on the naked wire. Then slide a little shrink up on it ( from said friend or radio shack ) you can use the iron to shrink it, a cig lighter or hair dryer.

if you've gone this far, solder and heat shrink should be very DO-able :)

Thanks folks. After looking at a few YouTube videos, it doesn't seem all that different from Tech-Ed (Shop Class) in high school. I'm a little less intimidated now.

:cheerleader:YAY SOLDER AND SHRINK WRAP!!! :cheerleader:Or you can do the redneck thing like my dad used to do and put a wire nut on it, ill advised though!

Once you get it fixed back up, why not buy the bike-specific harness from Scorpio and save yourself some headaches.....

Back