Battery, Charging, Whats wrong with my baby?

Screwloose

Registered
06. I bought it a year ago. Bike starts fine. Took it to emissions today. Turned it off. Would not restart. Fail! Have to go back. Had to push start it. I get it home. Turn the bike off. Restarts right away. WTF? Turn it off again. Restarts right away. Never turned the bike off while waiting for test. *I live in Arizona. It was around 97 today. Relatively cool for Arizona in July.*

I had this problem shortly after I bought it. Was not a regular occurrence. Finally got fed up and bought a new battery 4 months ago with very little hours on it. Replacement battery is not the best (Duraboost). I also bought a battery tendor and keep the bike on it most of the time. I rode the bike yesterday and did not put the tendor back on yesterday. But bike started up fine today.

Help please. Thanks ahead of time.

Check the connections on the terminals(tightness) and then the battery.. Put a voltmeter on it while running see where it's at.

Check the manual, complete how to step by step on testing the bike. The fan should not have drained you down like that. :thumbsup:

Terminals are tight as a drum. 12.98 Volts at battery after being on battery tendor. 15.00 volts at idle.

Could it be heat? Like I said I was idling for some time in 97 degrees F. While waiting for test yesterday. Although this has also occured after riding to the grocery store, parking it, then trying to start up when I came out.

Flat spot on the starter? If there is such a thing?

i had a battery this year were i took and it had 12.4v and was charging good,problem was the cold cranking amps of the battery...it was 120cca and should have been 180cca...bike started ok when cool and when warmed up it wouldnt crank...new battery solved my problem...after being stranded 2 times:whistle:

have the battery cold cranking amps checked..

Regulator or stator I'm thinking. If one fails, it can/does make the others fail.

If I remember right, the stator starts out the system, so if it goes out, it will eventually ruin your reg/rec and your battery. If your reg/rec is out, it can ruin your battery. Replacing the battery every once in awhile won't fix the problem. There is a way to check the reg/rec, but I did it and got mixed results. After replacing it and the stator (with used stuff), I'm all good now! I wouldn't get aftermarket either, I've heard of problems with those.

eBay.

If you do replace the stator, remember to have some liquid gasket when changing it, and get ALL the old gasket off. Also might as well do an oil change there too, cus you'll lose a lot of oil. Easy job to do though, just takes a bit of time.

Back