Problems!!!!!!!

The_Speedy_1

Registered
I have an 06 with 6700 miles on it the only mods done to it is D&D cans, GIPRO w/ ATRE, and Speedo Healer. Bike runs hard and fast, problem is when I get into second every now and then it jerks, and not at a set rpm and not all the time, me being a ase mechanic and working on cars it feels as if it is just shutting down the bike for a split second and back to normal. but if cruising in second it doesnt do it till you start to give little more throttle. sometimes does it at wot then others not, I have put new GIPRO on it and still does in second only, someone please help me out here, thanks.

I always use the clutch when shifting and if it was a second gear issue it would do it all the time consistantly wouldnt it.

When it starts the jerking business try applying the rear brake just a tad. If it stops try adjusting your chain. To much slack in the chain sometimes creates this problem. It occurrs when you are at or near neutral throttle.

If it's not doing the dance in all the gears I'm guessing this may be your problem?

You may also want to adjust the throttle cables. If the throttle has to much free play it can also be a problem.

Chain adjustment is a good place to start, with your miles wouldn't think the chain and sprockets were going away. After that I'd try running without the TRE. Best of luck.

Both Tuf and Dad are right, and 2nd gear alone goes out often in gen1 Busas too. Some bikes never have 2nd gear problems, even after high mileage and abuse. Others, 2nd goes out at any time for no particular reason. The gears can be machined to fix it, but I'de love to know exactly why some do and some don't.
The problem was fixed in 08 with the gen2.

I will bet that 2nd gear is going. I say this because I have been through it already. It wont do it all the time, but always in second and always under throttle, doesn't matter if it is wot or just a lil more twist. Replaced, cam gear, shift fork, second gear and a few other small things, while in there I put in an EVO Shift Star.

I will bet that 2nd gear is going. I say this because I have been through it already. It wont do it all the time, but always in second and always under throttle, doesn't matter if it is wot or just a lil more twist. Replaced, cam gear, shift fork, second gear and a few other small things, while in there I put in an EVO Shift Star.

X2 Sorry, bro. Been there, done that...sounds exactly like 2nd gear is starting to go out on ya.

Can anyone send me in right direction as far as what parts and price, I am mechanical enough to do, just need little help in getting the ball rolling on what I am looking for. thanks guys.

can someone help me upload the 2 clips i got of my bike, you can hear in the one clip, it doing its thing, in the second i held steady throttle and as the rpms come up then it does it, if it was a second gear issue you would think it would be consistant not sporatic

I just bought mine but my cousin owned it for 5 years or so before then. Mine does it only when its in its full power band in second and third. 3/4throttle no problems and no problems any other time. guy at the bike shop where I had a front tire put on said it was the chain slipping a tooth, said it is very common on the busas with all that power. Mine has 8400 miles on it and he brought a rear sprocket and put it up against mine and I knew then that was it. Im going to go with new sprockets and a good chain when I get the dough. I can just cruise untill then. Its kinda scarry to me anyway but im getting used to it.I have rode alot of bikes , but none of them have ever tried to rip my arms off before.lol

If I remember right it was about $500-$600 in parts. In my previous post I listed most the things that I had to replace in mine, but that is not to say that is what you will have to replace, could be more could be less. Best thing to do when you tear down is replace anything that is wore. If you can afford it and plan on racing have the dogs undercut.

first video was in and out throttle

second video is a steady second bgear pull it doesnt do it till around 7k,

total unconsistant, thats why I have hard time thinking second gear, but I have been wrong in the past also.

‪Problems in second gear‬‏ - YouTube
I've ridden multiple bikes with a bad 2nd gear, your videos are exactly what they do...sorry :banghead: At first they only do it under heavy power, otherwise you can cruise them fine. But over time they get so bad 2nd gear becomes unusable as the dogs round more and more. I would definately check my chain and sprockets over well before I tore into the bike if I were you just to be positive, but chain/sprockets/clutch...or most any other problem, will show up in other gears as well. Thats about as classic as a bad 2nd gear gets.

Back