Made a mistake changing my oil.

ssg_petty_210

Registered
I decided to switch to AMSOIL today, and when I was tightening the drain plug, I ended up stripping it. I have all the oil in there now, and it is slowly dripping from the drain plug. What can i do to fix this? Is there a kit I can retap into it, or am I screwed and have to buy a brand new oil pan? Please help if this has ever happened to you. This is my daily driver and need it fixed fast. Thanks...

You can retap it but you will have to drain all the oil out to do that. If its not too bad, you can try putting some gasket sealer on the on the oil drain screw and it may seal the leak. Or you can just force the next bigger size screw in the hole. Ive done all of them before and they all worked. You will eventually need to buy a new oilpan.

Like said above, the next size drain plug or look for heli coil.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'd do the teflon tape until I could get it rethreaded..

- Amsoil Rocks (That's about $40 of oil you just wasted)
- TORQUE WRENCH!!!

first buy a torque wrench since you cant feel the bolt/
Now once you have decided to use a heli coil over a new pan
USE PLENTY of grease on the tap to prevent NO shavings into
the pan when cutting new threads.

I wouldnt say I wasted the amsoil. I got it to where it isnt leaking at the moment. And when I do retap the hole, I will be reusing the oil. Since I havent ridden the bike yet since the oil change.

I always us a torque wrench when doing my oil, it is an easy way not to get it wrong. A lot of folks on here will laugh or give you a hard time for using a torque wrench, but they are not the ones that ride my bike. I set the torque for 1 lb less than recommended, which I think is 14 lbs, but I double check each time I do it.

There are several options out there for you to fix the problem. Keep us posted.

sadly, you're not the first and won't be the last
P.S. For the time being, try TEFLON tape on the plug until you get the proper tools/supplies to fix it. Best of luck.

I wouldnt suggest this since the teflon tape can get up into the engine oil and float around in the engine and possibly stop up small oil holes, screen etc. If anything I would use thread paste.
Leave the teflon tape for the plumbers

Looks like I'll be buying a torque wrench lol. I might just take it to a shop and have it fixed. I dont have the patience, tools or time to do it myself. All I know, is this has pissed me off. Luckily its not really leaking, but over the night I seen two small drops of oil on the ground. I guess it could be worse. I also have developed a knock in the engine. I was told its the timing chain. It knocks at idle, but when I build up the rpm's it goes away. So I was told to get a timing chain tensionor. Has anyone done this to their bike or had this problem?

I never thought i would do this but i did. I tried to rethread it but what i didnt know and this could happen so be aware, is that not only did i bust the thread i also cracked the oil pan and had to have it welded. Make sure before you spend the money on rethreading it that it aint cracked

I never thought i would do this but i did. I tried to rethread it but what i didnt know and this could happen so be aware, is that not only did i bust the thread i also cracked the oil pan and had to have it welded. Make sure before you spend the money on rethreading it that it aint cracked

Thanks for the help. I just checked the oil pan just now, and lucky for me it isnt cracked. I shot out some emails to some local guys here to see if anyone had a tap and die set so I can fix it. I never seen a drain plug strip so easy, I barely put any pressure on it. Which leads me to believe the last owner has probably done this as well. Now the timing chain is causing a knock.

could be a bad tensioner, these things are known to have problems with those, does it do it when its warm and when u blip the throttle?

Back