Ticking only while moving

rockethead

Registered
I seem to have a constant tick while in gear riding around. It doesn't happen while in neutral or while revving the throttle. What do you guys/gals think? It's an 01 with 11,300 miles....

Rockethead using Tapatalk

The neutral kinda takes away my suggestion, but it might not. When did you last clean and lube that chain ?

Do you a baseball card in your spoke??

No really, where does the sound come from?
Posted via Mobile Device

Seems to come from the engine. I was thinking valves ( but hate for that to be it lol) seems persistent in every gear and thru rpm's. Doesn't get louder when I whine gears all the way out. I figured it may be a vacuum hose leak with the emissions maybe? Or valve chatter. I am in need of new tires/chain/sprockets. Original chain I figure... Maybe that's it?

:laugh: it's been awhile....

I'd try that first, a good cleaning ( I use WD-40 with the bike on a rear stand and motor at idle in first gear ) and a good lube ( I wax my chain with Maxima Gold Can ) Mine has 21K on it and if I let it go too long it will start clicking.

I'd try that first, a good cleaning ( I use WD-40 with the bike on a rear stand and motor at idle in first gear ) and a good lube ( I wax my chain with Maxima Gold Can ) Mine has 21K on it and if I let it go too long it will start clicking.

I'll definitely check that and post up when I get it cleaned and see if this solves the mysterious "tick". Thanks for your thoughts dadofthree

Please don't continue to clean your chain this way. Having the bike running at idle and messing with the chain area is a chance you dont need to take. It seems so simple but the rag or a finger/hand stuck in a rag or stuck in the chain area is just not worth a few minutes of time. It has happened and will happen again....just a thought, do with it what you will
Later
lamb!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I wont clean chain while in gear. Heard too many lost thumb stories... It's always thumbs too :laugh:

I would do the coasting thing. Get going and shut off your engine see if it is still there. I found my front caliper was touching the rotor just enough to create a little ticking sound while riding. Squeeze the brake just a little and it would go away.

Back