06 Busa knock in engine at idle

metafiend

Registered
Hey all,

I am new to the forums and would like to first say hello!

I have a 2006 Hayabusa Limited Edition with 14k miles. I recently purchased this bike from a guy I know and have noticed what might be an irregularity.

I have found that after about a 5-10 mile trip, I pull up to a stop light and sit at 1k idle speed and can hear a knocking coming from the front of the motor. I am not quite sure what it could be but it is making a me a little bit nervous. I have been told by a few people that these machines have loud clutches but I am not convinced that the noise is coming from the clutch. I apologize in advance as I am not the most technically sound. That being said, I do not have a bunch of money to throw into the engine either. So, if anyone has any ideas that might be cheaper I would definately take those over an engine rebuild, LOL!

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what it could be? I will list the mods that have been done to the bike below. Thank you in advance for looking and the replies.

Yoshimure RS3 tri-oval chrome slip ons
-1 front gearing
K&N Air Filter/Box
PC3 USB w/custom mapping

Is it clicking or knocking? Would help if we could hear it. Welcome to the oRg. :welcome:

I don't know what it is either, but my last two busas seemed to make a similar sound. My 2000 does too. Could it just be what big bore sounds like?

if it is clutch related the noise should change/ go away when the clutch is pulled .

if rod bearings the noise should increase w engine rpm

i kind of adhere to the old adage...'one test is worth a thousand expert opinions'

good luck, and welcome to the board

My 05 is doing the same thing. Once the bike is warmed up, and I am at a red light, stop sign, etc every 3 to 5 seconds I get this hard knock. I have no clue what it is, and it doesnt sound like the clutch. Bike is good on oil as well. If you find out what is causing yours, please pm me and let me know. I can feel my knock all the way up to the handle bars when it knocks. It doesnt knock while I am riding, just only at idle and every 3 to 5 seconds. If I give it slight throttle at idle to build up the rpms, it doesnt knock at all.

Thank you all for the replies!

However, I do not think it is clutch related now as I can hear it knock faster if I rev the motor. It knocks regardless if the clutch is pulled in or released. Hope that helps.

Also, my bike kind of has a labored idle to it and it seems to knock when my idle drops below 1K. My idle seems to rev between 950 - 1000. I am wondering if I need to advance the idle? If so, how do I acheive this? People have said it has a labored idle because of the Yosh slip ons. Not sure how to remedy this. Thanks.

Try to adjust the idle, and I returned your pm. :beerchug: Although I hope the thread I sent you is way off.

My 06 busa knocks too once the idle falls to 1k. Bring the idle up to about 1.2k. But when the rev is up should not have the knock. Gd luck

WOW!! Super Super helpful question & posts. On my new to me bike I was having the exact same described sound. Was idling right at 1k and at stop lights or at idle at start up I would get the clunk every few seconds....add throttle goes away, nothing at higher rpms. Adjusted the idle screw and went away

So, I upped the idle to about 1250. It has not made the noise since. MAN, I am very relieved and VERY greatful for all of the advice given here! THANKS!

Sounds like I have similar problem but was told I need to check my manifold gasket. I can only hear a knocking sound at 30 and below speeds through town,or when traveling down my long driveway. But I have a 4 2 1 yosh exhaust.
Posted via Mobile Device

if it is clutch related the noise should change/ go away when the clutch is pulled .

if rod bearings the noise should increase w engine rpm

i kind of adhere to the old adage...'one test is worth a thousand expert opinions'

good luck, and welcome to the board

agreed - one, it's NOT a rod. you'd know.... just, you would. lol

make a paper tube with toilet paper rolls or something, take the side panel off, shove it around the engine to locate where it comes from. if it's the front end it might be a blown head gasket or exhaust gasket (listen at each header) check the back side for intake issues. it might be a valve out of adjustment (as mine is right now), or it could be an injector. If it's clutch related, you could put it in gear and it should go away once you pull it in. If it's not clutch, it's MOST likely your cam chain - which goes away with high rpm. park it, put the tube up to the cam, crank it every 1000 revs up to about 6 or 7 (usually where it goes away).

if not cam - check for a loose seated injector by pulling the electronic plugs out the back of the engine where each intake is (this is where your fuel is injected to mix with the air) ONE AT A TIME :laugh:.
If not any of those, start cutting slices of cardboard to see if it's a body rattle, once you rule that out you could adjust your idle manually, but at this point, it's more likely your bike is just out of tune and you should get a valve adjustment (200-300$ unless you do it yourself (50$ and a lot of education :thumbsup:)

- hope I helped. will post pics on request

Sounds like I have similar problem but was told I need to check my manifold gasket. I can only hear a knocking sound at 30 and below speeds through town,or when traveling down my long driveway. But I have a 4 2 1 yosh exhaust.
Posted via Mobile Device

check the cam chain, usually that'll go away with higher revs. manifold gasket's hard to blow unless you were torquing the hell out of it.

Guys this will also cause poor charging of the battery as well, for those that don't ride much and crank the bike once in awhile. Glad it fixed you up. Not good to starve those cams.

I didn't read this in entirety but on those 06 LE's sometimes it's just the counter balancer knocking at idle . Raise the idle up anyway. They rattle the idle screw and lower the rpm over time but the cams still need oiled when new or at 90k miles. Some things never change throughout an engines life.

Welcome to the ORG

Back