Charging System or what?

IL_Bow_Man

Registered
I noticed while riding home the other night, my light dims down when I raise the rpm's and they get brighter at idle. My battery occasionaly gets low and I have to top it off. Any ideas from the pro's here?

have you checked your battery with a volt meter preferably than read to the 0.00

Check it before you start it , while it's running and then check it while it's starting.

Your battery may be going bad

Makes no sense. If it were a battery or charging system issue I would expect the opposite. Dim at idle, brighter at higher RPMs. Good luck with it.

Today I went to start it and it won't fire. Has enough juice to turn it over, but enough to fire it. And you can here the starter sounding a little slower. I don't have a volt meter handy. But I can recall from checking it earlier this spring that at idle the volts into the battery were higher then at the elevated rpm's.

I guess based on your findings, I would charge that battery, crank the bike, and keep it at low RPMs. If you're not pulling our chain i'd get the rectifier replaced. Obviously it's not working properly. The manual has easy, step by step electrical troubleshooting guide.

keep it at low rpm's? What fun is that, I leave that for when the girlfriend rides it. I like the rpm's up there.... I will have to check into the rectifier and see what comes of it.

Thanks

Had that problem. Pretty sure it was the stator.

Watch buying used ones, because most people with used ones had charging issues...

I eventually replaced the stator, reg/rec, starter, and battery, but if I remember right, after replaced the stator it fixed it.

Back