why is my mpg in the crappa?

jay21112

Registered
Ok when I first got the bike, I was getting 50 mpg

After breaking it in and the first service I was getting about 44 mpg (I was also keeping it at 3.5k rpm for cruisin)

For the last 2 weeks I've been averaging 33 mpg. That's really low especially with the damn gas prices.

My bike is an 04 totally stock. Is this normal? What are you guys getting? The only things that may be effecting this is: I've started to cruise between 4 and 5k rpm; and my idle needs to be adjusted, so everytime I downshift I give it a little gas to keep it from stalling out. However even with these things it seems like an 11 mpg reduction is due to something else. Any ideas?

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098037486 -->

i got 33ish when i first got mine, now only get 31, but i am much more comfortable w/ the bike, and do cruise @5-6000 rpm. mine had 8000miles on it, now has 10,000 i thought 30 miles to the gallon was good.

i got 33ish when i first got mine, now only get 31
Well, I guess I'm over-reacting.
I had a 90' zx11. The thing was getting 50 mpg with a V+H race pipe, and when it was jetted it only went down to 45 mpg, that's why I thought the 30's was really low.

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098050912 -->

Don't worry. I get about 32, 33 on the road with a 43 sprocket. Puts crusing rpm in the 4200 to 4500 range. Plenty good.

Wow, everyone gets low 30's. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

I guess it's the rpm change. I wonder If I started cruising at 9K, what kinda mph I would get.

What about you guys with the big bore or turbo setup? What do you guys get, about 25 mpg?

16t and a STRE we are getting between 42-44 HWY mpg on 87-89 fuel. On some longer trips with a constant speed we hit 48 mpg.

Mine has averaged 45 or better....for 18K miles---now with a Muzzy full exhaust and Powercommander II 40's
or better... Awhile back this summer i went 112 miles on 1.87 gallons...On cruise control...I usually ride the highest gear possible..for the speed i am going..When it's time to point and shoot...down four gears and Blammo...then back to 6th...also at times will cruise at higher rev's , third gear instead of 5th so one could gasit it out of danger....Quickly

with my turbo I got 36 mpg city and 5 at the track...

WTF are you complaining about ?? if you wanted mpg do buy a diesel. helll you have over 150 hp can go over 180 and you want MPG you are f'ing nuts

<!--EDIT|Johnnycheese
Reason for Edit: "just pisses me off this question"|1098141097 -->

with my turbo I got 36 mpg city and 5 at the track...

WTF are you complaining about ?? if you wanted mpg do buy a diesel. helll you have over 150 hp can go over 180 and you want MPG you are f'ing nuts
Wow, chill out man, don't blow a head gasket. We are all friends here. I think you just didn't understand why I asked the question.

I was just worried about going from 44 to 33mpg so fast.
I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the bike. Last time my mpg went down my gas tank had rotted and I was leaking gas!!!! (That was on a 14 year old bike though.) I'm about as skilled in mechanics as a rock, so I wanted to see whether this was normal or if I had to get it checked out.

Of course I'd like to get 100mpg, who wouldn't? But, if the busa gets 30mpg that's fine by me because you are right, I bought it for performance, not touring.

BTW, Thanks for replying with your mpg for your turbo.

Oh and I'm pushing like 165 HP!!! Remember I have an 04LE
biggrin.gif
J/K

-Jay

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098200925 -->

are you checking it for real or by the speedo cumputer that is wrong?
also do you still have stock gearing if you do it went down dure to you are more comfortable on the bike and you are now twisting the throttle.

Ok when I first got the bike, I was getting 50 mpg

After breaking it in and the first service I was getting about 44 mpg (I was also keeping it at 3.5k rpm for cruisin)

For the last 2 weeks I've been averaging 33 mpg. That's really low especially with the damn gas prices.

I've started to cruise between 4 and 5k rpm
Let's see.... was cruising at 3.5Krpm, now at 5K...

42% increase in engine speed, 25% reduction in fuel economy....

I think I see a connection here...

I was checking it by the speedo cluster. I know its off, but it should always be off by the same factor right (I do have stock gearing)? So if that's what I was using to check it before, then the same error should still be there and it is alright to use it for comparison.

No matter though, my question has really been answered.

You're right, my mpg went down soley because Iv'e been cruising at the higher rpms. I thought this might be the case, I just wasn't sure because it seemed like a big decrease in fuel economy for a small increase in rpm. (as DAB said, 25% to 42%). Had it been an equal percentage I wouldn't even have wondered. But when everyone else started reporting the same numbers at that rpm (esp. flrider) It put that question to rest.

So thanks guys, much appreciated. And JC, I know you thought this was a stupid question but unfortunately you might see more than a couple of them on this board from me, because when it comes to the mechanics and even riding of motorcycles I have a lot to learn. So if you guys can tolerate this kind of crap from me, I'll help you out whenever I can also (I can move heavy objects... sorry, thats all I got right now.)

So thanks guys, much appreciated. And JC, I know you thought this was a stupid question but unfortunately you might see more than a couple of them on this board from me, because when it comes to the mechanics and even riding of motorcycles I have a lot to learn.
Glad to help.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how you learn stuff.

Nobody starts out an expert, and I've met geniuses who couldn't tie their own shoes...

I have a stock '04 and have cruised it under 4k rpm's and got 47 mpg. If riding more aggressively in the 5-6k rpm range I get about 33 mpg like you. Last time out I rode it harder, at 6-7 rpm's, and got about 29 mpg.

and JohnnyCheese, I've been reading posts on this website for quite some time, and you need to chill out! You're tone is rude and condescending........get in touch with your inner cheese please.

Back