Clutch Problems, help me diagnose.

AlphaMaleFive

Registered
My bike was acting as if the clutch was "stuck" while engaged. After you let the clutch out it would barely move forward and rev as if you were just barely releasing the clutch.

I replaced the clutch line, cleaned everything. Lubricated the push rod, put it all back together and it ran great. For about 10 minutes .. or maybe until it got hot. I made it a few miles from the house and it slowly started acting as if the clutch were stuck. More and more until I was simply stopped with no drive power.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should look to next to repair it?

2000 Busa.

How many miles on the clutch pack? Is your clutch completely stock, or do you have any mods? Have you measured your stack height? Check your slave cylinder for cracks/leaks too.

How do you ride? Any racing, or mostly just cruising, commuting kinda stuff? A lot of variables in the clutch....

How many miles on the clutch pack? Is your clutch completely stock, or do you have any mods? Have you measured your stack height? Check your slave cylinder for cracks/leaks too.

How do you ride? Any racing, or mostly just cruising, commuting kinda stuff? A lot of variables in the clutch....

what he said and if u havent been in the clutch at all probably time to replace plates and if u have been in the clutch could have put them in wrong

10k miles on the stock clutch assembly. I have been in it, but it's in the correct order. I romp on it on the freeways from time to time but overall I don't beat on her too much.

The bike has largely sat for the last year. The fact it ran perfectly for 10 minutes before sticking makes me think it's not the plates. The clutch is stuck "engaged" as if the lever were being held down. So what part pushes BACK? As in against the the hydraulic piston and rod?

10k miles on the stock clutch assembly. I have been in it, but it's in the correct order. I romp on it on the freeways from time to time but overall I don't beat on her too much.

The bike has largely sat for the last year. The fact it ran perfectly for 10 minutes before sticking makes me think it's not the plates. The clutch is stuck "engaged" as if the lever were being held down. So what part pushes BACK? As in against the the hydraulic piston and rod?

Check for a crack in the sprocket cover where the slave cylinder sits. If it's cracked everytime you pull the clutch in the cover will move out instead of pushing you stack out.

Especially if the bike sat for a year.........I've done it on a couple of my salt racers.

If this started after you opened it up, sounds like the pressure plate is not seated correctly. If you dont press it into place properly while installing the center nut the clutch will act like it's not engaging properly....well, because it's not. The pressure plate can't come back into the plates far enough.

That's where I would start bro.

I had this problem on my 08 when I fist picked it up, I inspected the plates and springs against the specs in the service manual all checked out, wound up being the old owner changed the oil and put in a oil with friction modifiers, once I changed the oil I worked the clutch and it came back to life, if you don’t have the manual I would down load it and go step by step thru the clutch make sure every thing is in spec and put in properly then look at the oil.

I only opened the clutch up after I began to have the problem. I did just switch oils. I think I had been using a silkolene or motul and I've now gone to mobil 1.

The clutch is def installed correctly and I have no leaks in the hydraulics. The plates didnt look to be in all that bad of shape. I didnt change the oil when I took the clutch apart and cleaned everything. I just drained it into a clean pan and put it back in since it was new.

I'll try cleaning the plates again and switching back to a motul oil. ****, I'll do a little dance if I end up getting off that cheaply.

Is your slave cyclinder sticking? Stick your finger in the slave cyclinder and work the clutch..u can do this without taking anything apart..

I use rotela T6 but my dad uses Mx4t mobile 1 it dosent have friction modifiers so i would be suprised if that was the issue but you never know stranger things have happened

i use the mobile 4t right now and i think i am switching back to amsoil. the shifting on my bike hasn't been as smooth since i switched. hopefully, it's a simple/cheap fix for ya!

I use amsoil too. great stuff! Based on this happening right after you changed your oil it is rather suspicious. In this case changing the oil and cleaning the plates is probably your best bet. While you have everything out take a moment to measure your stack height. The best person to ask about stack height (in my opinion) is Dwayne over at Cycle Concepts. I don't have his number, but you can google him. The man knows more about clutches and set ups than anyone I have met in 31 years of riding motorcycles. If, when you get everything back together, you are still having issues, give him a call. He won't disappoint. :beerchug:
Best of luck!

ok...looked it up for ya. Here's Dwaynes info. Shipping is quick!
1625 Lynwood Drive
Lancaster, SC 29720
Telephone:
(803) 285-8093

Back