Rolling knock driving me nuts!!!

Rdmetz

Registered
Ok so over the past week or so my 06 Busa LE has developed what I can only describe as a rolling knock...the bike was wrecked about 2 months ago when I hit a deer 2000.00 dollars later I've had her back together and on the road for about a month or so...and really no problems...then this.

It goes like this bike starts up no knock start going go a bit no knock drive for a few mintues and start coming to a stop...knock, knock, knock getting slower and slower as I slow down til I stop...then accel....knock knock knock getting quicker and quicker as I go faster and faster disappearing when I hit about 25 miles per hour.

Now I was thinking something with the engine so I decided to kill the bike as I come to a stop letting it roll with the clutch in and using the front brake to stop still engine off and bike rolling and the knock is still there whether in N or any gear the knock is there its hard to pinpoint where its coming from I feel it in my left foot and feel like its closer to the front of the bike but my girl swears she feels it in the rear.

I am assuing it in the drivetrain somewhere and the vibration is traveling through the frame and the chain so that both of us feel it but I cant pinpoint it any ideas here?

Mine did that too.. it was a kink in the chain. But since you rebuilt it...I assume you changed the chain. Check it anyway... may be faulty. Put it on a rear stand and rotate the rear tire..see if you hear a clicking sound.. if so.. it's the chain:thumbsup:

Mine did that too.. it was a kink in the chain. But since you rebuilt it...I assume you changed the chain. Check it anyway... may be faulty. Put it on a rear stand and rotate the rear tire..see if you hear a clicking sound.. if so.. it's the chain:thumbsup:

+1! good call.
Out of alignment or a bent sprocket may be a possibility.

Just a thought, check your wheel bearings. I had the same problem a couple weeks ago and found cracked inner race on the cushion drive bearing. Drove me nuts as i could hear it on the stand but every lil sound seams to echo throughout all the hollow aluminum.

sent from G2 via tapatalk.

Just another thing to check.
check the chain and sprocket too.
Try putting the rear on a stand and rotate the rear wheel.
see if you see the chain suddenly skip or jump.

all sound like legitimate possibilites I'll be sure to check it when I get home the bike runs fine and changes gears no problems...well ocassionlay land in neutral going to second but feel thats most likely my big foot not getting under the shifter good enough. But the chain seems to most likely be the culprit but I havent ruled out the wheel bearings in the rear but to be honest have no idea what I'm looking for there...never really messed with that before. But I never really did alot of the things I've learned to do with this bike...so I'll have a go at it, wish me luck... lol

Probably time for sprockets and chain :thumbsup: My '08 is at 21K and starting to get noisy. Someone on here posted up they had our fix. Thinking it was Justin.

Ok Update I put the bike on the stand and spun the tire by hand no knock....inspected chain and the sprocket both seem to be in good shape.

The knock only seems to happen when the tire has traction on the ground and only at low speeds

With the tire up and in all gears including netural no noise then with the the bike actually rolling the knock is there engine on or off and in any gear.

So im back to where I was before with no real idea of what would cause this the wheel bearings I havent looked at but would the fact that there is no knock when the bikes up on the stand but does when actually on the ground rolling lead to anyone thinking its the bearings? Or should I start looking elsewhere?

Just a little more input, might not be relevant. My knock was getting worse. Been forgetting to pick up a can of WD-40 for about a month, but at long last bought a can last night, cleaned the chain and waxed it. Knock gone. The clean and lube was well over due. This probably won't last that long because of the age and mileage on my chain, and I'm not a clean and lube after every ride type of guy. I do this about every 1 K miles.

Well another update.

I have been struted since I got the bike and with my size and weight I dont think its was such a good idea so I've put the stock shock back on and raised the bike back to original height the noise now seems to come and go.

Mainly it comes when the bike is under load like accelerating from the line or going up a hill. As mentioned before not knock when there is no load on the wheel like when its up on the stand and now with the suspension setup normally when slowing down to a stop the noise seems to go away for the most part as the weight transfers to the front of the bike better without the strut.

So again I'm feeling more and more like it would be the bearings my local shop took a look at it and couldnt figure it out the knock wasnt there when I took it to him and couldnt seem to get it to do it when he rode it either...just my luck.

So I guess I'll try the bearings any suggestion on what bearings from what company I should go with?

My chain is pretty tight very little play in it I was strutted and now I'm riding on the stock shock which has made the noise come and go depending on how the weight is transfered it seems to do it less when the weight is transfered up front and the lighter the ride on the bike the less it seems to do it as well I'm 320lbs myself and it seems to do it the the further back the wieght is on the bike....

I dont know all of this weight having anything to do with it might just be in my head. It so hard to tell when the knock can only be heard while driving. But I really feel like weight bearing on the rear tire defintley is having something to do with as I said before when on the stand the knock isnt there at all.

Look for a empty street and ride with no helmet on to see if you can hear where it's coming from a little better ( if it's legal where you live)
a chain too tight will make noise too

Back