Value of an '05 with engine trouble?

O Holy P

Registered
Well I never thought I'd be posting this...

Tonight after a brief encounter with a GSXR1000, I exited and traveled about 3 or 4 miles with another buddy and made a U-turn and heard a noise from under me that sounded like I was between gears. I down shifted and listened, still there, upshifted, listened still there. Pulled in the clutch and the noise persisted. I shut it down and rolled to a stop, then started it back up and then I knew something had gone wrong. Sounds like a rod or wrist pin knocking, badly. Never got an oil light, and the level is good. I am due for an oil change in about 200 miles though, but I think that point is moot.

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with her. She's got 16,349 miles on the clock. What could I expect to get if I sold it as is? Clear title in hand.

Just a thought...if I keep it, I'd be inclined to do a Gen II motor swap with gauges etc...

Sad night. :(

get a long handle screwdriver or anything solid and put the end on the bottom half of the engine up front and then do it near the back where the transmission is, then u could isolate what section is it coming from not clutch,

Sounds like you are not running correctly on all cylinders. I think a tear down is in order.

Poor busa :down:. Sorry for the bad luck however A gen2 engine swap would be awesome :beerchug:

Well earlier I had another listen with someone other than myself there to see what they thought. It is intermittent and pulling the clutch in and releasing it does seem to make a slight difference in the noise. Also sounds like something is bouncing or rattling around in the clutch area...so I'm thinking something may have broken off. I'm going to see if I can pull the clutch cover off tonight and see if anything jumps out at me.

check your clutch basket, if a towers backed off it will sound that way..

Pulled the clutch apart tonight, everything looked perfect in that area, even the steel looked to be in excellent shape. Put it all back together and fired it back up, the knock was still there but then it went away?!?! Man...It sounds like it may be a top end issue now...who knows. Going to call a guy here locally who's familiar and see what he thinks...I think the next step will be to pull the valve cover for inspection and a lash check at least.

You can hear it when you rev it but you have to be listening closely near the engine area. I hope it can be fixed with out much or hopefully any collateral damage! :please:

After much frustration and taking off everything short of removing the motor I figured out what happened. I was buttoning everything back up thinking the engine was just simply going to have to be torn down for inspection...when!...I went to put the air box on and noticed that one of the needle nozzle tubes was missing on my "Gixx1300R" nitrous spray bar! :oh: Unreal... I performed a compression check and all cylinders are healthy including #3, the victim. I am going to source a bore-scope so I can further inspect the piston and combustion chamber for any signs of further damage, if any. Since the aluminum tube was pretty thin walled and soft, I hope that it was chewed up and spit out in good fashion. I was low on gas, so maybe she was hungry. :laugh: I'm just glad I found out what the issue was, I was beginning to go crazy not knowing what that noise was...which is now gone...and makes sense...

ugh

Compression on that cylinder checked OK. I'm not going to do anything until I can stick a bore scope down there and have a look-see. :)

Cylinder is pretty trashed, lots of pits, dents, scars, & scratches from the debris. Even though the compression checked fine, I'm just not comfortable running the engine in it's current state, even though it probably would not hurt it any more than it is now.

I'm looking into a Gen II swap and selling what's left over. Will probably repair the Gen I motor before I sell it off. Will just use this as a good excuse to upgrade. :)

Back