won't start, battery?

nychris

Registered
I took my bike off the charger and tried to start it for the first time this year. When I press the ignition button, it tries to turn over once but stops and all of the lights in the dash turn off until I let go of the button. The battery connections look okay and I put a volt meter on it and it read over 12V. What else can be the cause of this?

Thanks!

Chris

for starters, take it to your local auto parts store to get it tested. how old is the battery?

The battery is 3 years old. It's a Xtreme Permaseal High Performance AGM Motorcycle Battery XTAZ14S from Batteries Plus.

What would the auto parts store test other than what I tested with the voltmeter? Would you say this is most likely the problem?

They'll load test the battery, but at 3 years I'll wager a guess that you need a battery.

I agree, new battery needed. You can have 12 volts, and not have any cranking amps.

You guys are awesome! Every year I ask a stupid question and it always gets answered. I went to a Suzuki dealer and bought a Yuasa YT12A-BS, installed it and it started right up!

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

You guys are awesome! Every year I ask a stupid question and it always gets answered. I went to a Suzuki dealer and bought a Yuasa YT12A-BS, installed it and it started right up!

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

Make sure you put a good initial charge on it. :beerchug:

whats the voltmeter reading with the ignition switch open??? Whats the voltmeter reading when you crank it.

I am replacing my battery tomorrow. Reads 12.6, when I open the switch it drops to 7 volts.. When I crank it .... :whistle: why bother :laugh: Charging system is a ok reading 13.5 when running. :thumbsup:

Back