electrical/wiring problem

Hello, I have a 2000 busa that I just bought about a month ago. Its rained A LOT the first couple weeks I had it so I only got to ride sporadically, and not for very long. One day the sun finally came out and my friends and I went for a ride. When we came out of the pizza place we ate at, my bike wouldn't start. The battery was completely dead. After a while I got it going and was able to ride to work and back a few times (bout a 6 min trip). One day coming home from work the bike died while I was riding. I had charged and tested the battery and it checked out but I thought it could have just been a false positive since I had just charged it. So since it had died while I was riding, I thought it could just be a dead cell, so I put a brand new battery in it. With the brand new one installed I took off and it dies at a red light and won't start. Battery was cpmpletely dead after about a 20 min ride. I take it to the place I bought it from, they said it was the regulator and put a new one on it charged me only for the part, no labor. I pick it up, ride for a few hours, top of the world again. Next day, I go for a ride with a friend and it dies agAin on me going down the street, after less than 1hr. I let it sit for a while (while I was stranded in the country)and we eventually got it push-started. It ran long enough to get me home and died coming down my street, I was able to coast into my driveway. Next day it fires right up and I rode around the neighborhood for about 15 min before going to sunday night church service. Get home from that, start up the bike without problem and I ride 2 blocks and it dies again while riding. I'm completely at a loss here. I've had this bike for a month and its been broken down for about 2 aand a half weeks out of that. I love the bike, but not for a paperweight. Any insight?? Sorry so long. Thx in advance... Roger
Posted via Mobile Device

Take it to a good mechanic. The manuals have a great electrical trouble-shooting section. Sounds like you have a major drain.

I would bet there is a frayed wire shorting to a ground somewhere. check the wiring harness make sure it isn't laying on the engine or anything like that. IMO if you can't find anything out of the ordinary while searching the bike over take er to the shop :banghead:

I would get them to do an actual voltage check... I agree with the harness shorting theory, but you could also have a stator problem...
Understand that they changed the rectifyer?

it sounds like a rectifier/stator issue. if it were a short to ground from harness rubbing there would be blown fuses for sure. there is good tests in manual for testing those .the flow chart starts on 7-8 of manual..all ya need is a multi meter and follow directions. good luck:beerchug:

I would bet there is a frayed wire shorting to a ground somewhere. check the wiring harness make sure it isn't laying on the engine or anything like that. IMO if you can't find anything out of the ordinary while searching the bike over take er to the shop :banghead:

if it was any kind of short it would pop a fuse (imo), im thinking its a charging issues

do u have a volt metter?

hook volt meter to battery before u start the bike and see what the voltage is then start it as it starts see what it drops to and the while its idling see what the voltage does and rev it up to about 3 or 4k to see if the voltage goes down or if it goes up to 13 or 14volts

Also check to see what kind of current draw you have on the battery with the bike off. Welcome to the oRg.

Back