Can't Start!! In Dispair!!

Bearusa

Registered
I've been trying to figure out my starting problems by following old threads but so far, no luck. I rode my 2002 the other day with no problems, an hour later the "check" display stayed on and it wouldn't start. After turning the key off-then on, I got no display from the dash and again no start. I finally found my way to the dash fuse box(forgive me-it's my 1st sport bike) and the fuses are all intact. I removed the battery to charge it but was fully charged. Curiously, after turning the key off-the dash dials do their little dance up and down. Is there another fuse box, is this some simple thing that I'm missing? I've seen sunshine come and go and the rain is returning but still my bike sits-miles away. Please, please help!
Bearusa

How many years old is the battery? Even if its is "fully charged," a dying battery can be a cause of starting problems. If your bike ran fine before and this problem just cam eup, I suspect the battery as the culprit.

I just bought her used-no idea how old the battery is. It's turned quickly and always started right up.

How many years old is the battery? Even if its is "fully charged," a dying battery can be a cause of starting problems. If your bike ran fine before and this problem just cam eup, I suspect the battery as the culprit.

Yeah, but if the battery had some charge left, his dials/fuel pump should still start up, shouldn't they?

Shift it into neutral and make sure the kill switch is in the "run" position.

Bike should start now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, but if the battery had some charge left, his dials/fuel pump should still start up, shouldn't they?

yes but he's saying they sweep when he turns the key off...the battery would be the first thing i would check also, i've heard of some wierd things happening from one going bad :beerchug:

Define "can't start". Does the starter motor spin the engine, but the engine will not fire? Or does the starter never spin the engine?

Clutch relay, stand switch, neutral...can you hear the fuel pump come on??

I agree. If you are in gear and the side stand is down you will get the Chek on the dash and you should not be able to hear the fuel pump prime.

Sorry everybody! I had that work thing to take care of-but I'm back. What I get with the key turned, neutral, clutch in, and ignition pushed is = nothing. There's no dash display, fuel pump sound, engine turning. Nothing

Sorry everybody! I had that work thing to take care of-but I'm back. What I get with the key turned, neutral, clutch in, and ignition pushed is = nothing. There's no dash display, fuel pump sound, engine turning. Nothing

Check the "kill" switch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh the flames. If you've checked all the interlocks and everything is right, take jumper cables and hook it up to your car and see if you still have the problem, or pull the battery and get it tested. A battery might charge and have a good open circuit test but fail a load test and need replacing.

^^^^^^^plus 100....check the batt...full charge doesnt mean all the cells are good.

Thank you for these words of wisdom. I'll pull it in the morning after work and have it tested. I do appreciate all the help.
Bearusa

There is a fuse,that controls the electronics,its under the left side rear fairing..left as your setting on the bike...maybe its not making contact sometimes or loose..i believe it goes to the battery...

I agree. If you are in gear and the side stand is down you will get the Chek on the dash and you should not be able to hear the fuel pump prime.

yeah, took me a while to figure that one out, the so called techs at the shop knew nothing about it either. good thing i found the .org lol

And the winner is...Bum Battery!! Yep, sure enough, I yanked it-tested it-and it wasn't holding charge. I dropped in a new one and she fired right up. :cheerleader:Since it always turned over quickly and the problem showed up suddenly, I figured it was a blown fuse. Alot I know, huh? Thanks to everyone for all the input. You completed me.
Bearusa:smile_face_r:

awesome bro!!! for future refrence batts dont always gradually wear down...they can go out just like that....very happy ya got it fixed.

Back