Ticking sound and bar shimmy

binx

Registered
I have a ticking sound coming from the right case area and is louder on cold starts. It quiets down when warm, but can still hear it while riding. Doesnt seem to be affecting anything but is really annoying. It sounds like a valve tapping or a turbo volkswagon with the constant ticking or tapping sound. Does it all the time. My 07 GTI sounded the same..weird. The shop says its the normal suzuki sound and its just because the oil is cycling and dont worry about it. My kawis never made this sound, but most gixxers have loose sound to them. Is this normal.

I also have a shimmy in the bars when riding. Back and forth about 1/8 inch when riding. Can see it riding with one hand. Front tire seems planted and secure, had steering head bearings checked and told they were ok. Tires new Q2 balance was fine, they also look good. It seems worse at cruising speeds 30-65. Up to 100+ I dont notice it, maybe its cause Im on the tank staring at the dotted white line becoming a solid one. 600 miles on tires and 5500 on everything else. Thanks for any input.

i would start by getting the balance re checked (elsewhere may be )its only as good as the guy doing it :whistle:

The bolts that hold the clutch springs on the perches are most likely back out and making contact with the case. It is easy to check and fix. Put the rear tire on a board or brick and lean it over on the sidestand and you wont even have to drain the oil. Take the cover off and see what you find.

The ticking is most likely the clutch basket rivets/springs
Or possible timing chain noise

The shimmy is either the tires or steering stabalizer needs thicker oil put in (easy mod)

Back