bike reving even in neutral!

gardian1701

Registered
New to posting, and using mobile phone web, so hope im in the right placeo!

Smthing strange happened on the way to work the other day and wondered if it was somthing to panic about! I just pulled up at work to park up and discovered my bike was stuck at about 4000 rpm! it would down shift right to neutral but still same revs in neutral! The throttle twist felt completely normal but didnt seem to make a difference to the problem. I switched off, started her up as normal and as soon as the engine started, same thing. I switched off a second time and alls been normal for a few days since then (touch wood!)

my dealer has never encountered this problem! has anyone else any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Oh, p.s. its an 03 gen1, about 40,000 miles
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it may be your throttle cable. when the wheel is turned to the left it may be tightening up on the cable check to see if it evens out when you turn the wheel left to right that will tell you if something is bound up or caught. someone with more knowledge will post up soon.

:welcome: :welcome:home to the org. make sure ur high idle switch isnt moving u might be hiting it by mistake. oh and where are the pics? we have:rulez:here

Check your throttle cable as it come out the grip, there is a clip with an 8mm bolt, loose it a little and play with the cable with the bike on, take the right clip appart and clean it, your throttle return cable might be getting stuck, use some lubricant, if not your gonna have to take the throttle cables off the throttle boby, clean them and adjust them again...make sure your fast iddle is completly foward..let us know..it happened to me coming back from the track....quick fix

:welcome: :welcome:home to the org. make sure ur high idle switch isnt moving u might be hiting it by mistake. oh and where are the pics? we have:rulez:here

Pics? Of my bike? Only just signed up! Via htc mobile! Not got a clue how. Will have to stick em on when using the pc. Its just a bog standard 03, black. Will post some very soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Check your throttle cable as it come out the grip, there is a clip with an 8mm bolt, loose it a little and play with the cable with the bike on, take the right clip appart and clean it, your throttle return cable might be getting stuck, use some lubricant, if not your gonna have to take the throttle cables off the throttle boby, clean them and adjust them again...make sure your fast iddle is completly foward..let us know..it happened to me coming back from the track....quick fix

Hi, yes,
I lubed and wd40d everything you mentioned. Thank you all. Not sure if it made a difference thow because the problem sorted itself out! Should stop it happening again thow. :-)

brave is another word for stupid!

if you lubed with wd that may be ok for a quick fix but I would run get some quality cable lube from a local shop and put that on there, wd is not very well known for its lubrication.

Yep, thank u
I got some goo stuff off my dealer he uses, not sure of the name but its well slimy! I wd40'd the joints and stuff.

How can I upload pics of my bike?

Back