What would you do?

ssg_petty_210

Registered
Yesterday I had a brand new set of tires installed on my Busa. The wheels were powder coated not that long ago, and the wheels were flawless. After receiving the bike back and riding home, I notice that there are damages done to the wheels. There are scratches along the outer rim, and pen sized puncture marks all around the wheel. I am waiting for them to open up, so I can call them and confront them with the issue. On the receipt, it says nothing about them not being held accountable for damages. What would you all do? Here are some pics of the damages.
IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

Damages like this are all around the wheels. And they are all similar to the ones that are pictured.

That's a tough one, if the rims had factory paint on them it would be an easy claim however the shop can say that the aftermarket product failed and that they change hundreds of tires with no problem etc......

Yeah the rims are powder coated silver. Im not sure what the 05's came stock, or if the previous owner just had them redone to look brand new. But either way, the punctures are pretty deep. I can see them trying to get out of the scratches, but they have no excuse for the deep holes left it in. I just hope they are going to be responsible and fix this issue.

my 2 cents: I ask for a walk-around with the service manager BEFORE I leave any vehicle for work (any and all issues are noted in the work order). BEFORE pick-up, I conduct another walk-around of the vehicle with the service manager again to make sure NO NEW "issues" came up after they worked on it. If all is good, only then will I accept the vehicle and leave.

This way, both parties are on the same sheet of music WRT the condition of the bike before and after the shop is done with it.

Best of luck.

hope they work it out, but since you left...they have an out. But if they are a great dealership, the guy who did change them will say he did do it and they will handle it.

I have had mine scratched up from changes....but never gouged like that. Looks like they used a hole punch to change your tires.

my 2 cents: I ask for a walk-around with the service manager BEFORE I leave any vehicle for work (any and all issues are noted in the work order). BEFORE pick-up, I conduct another walk-around of the vehicle with the service manager again to make sure NO NEW "issues" came up after they worked on it. If all is good, only then will I accept the vehicle and leave.

This way, both parties are on the same sheet of music WRT the condition of the bike before and after the shop is done with it.

Best of luck.
Yeah, this is what I failed to do. Lessons learned though. I spoke to the manager, and he asked that I bring in the bike so we can take a look and see what we can work out. I hope he is still going to take responsibility for the damages. The damages are obvious that it was done with a machine. I will post what they say and do when I get back.

Thus I change my own tires now. You need to know what you expect from them and tell them. What are you looking for to be satisfied?

This the very reason why I'll never get my wheels painted, powder coated, or buy carbon fiber rims. With so many tire changes in the life of a Busa, the chances of this happening are just to risky. That dealer isn't going to do anything. You're hosed.

hope you have better luck than I had. shop scratched my frame in a few spots, ripped two of my LED underglow lights off and stuffed em under the tank, i had gas stains all down my frame and small scratches on the tail where someone had leaned on it. they wouldnt do anything to fix what they did. that shop is actually closed now. but i see the same "techs" :poke: at the other zuk shop i go to so i started doing all my own work now...

i dont think a certified suzuki shop should have such low standards. maybe the head north amarican suzuki office would like to hear about how these so called techs are treating loyal suzuki customers... tell em your ready to switch to a Kawi:rofl: maybe they'll help you out:rofl:

Well they swore up and down they didnt put the knicks in it. But they were very apologetic. They gave me a free lowering kit, and a free oil change service when ready. So they made it right.

The "pen size punctures" that I see in the pics appear to be from the clamps of a tire machine from clamping the wheel from the inside instead of being done the right way and clamping the wheel from the outside with protectors in place. If there is 4 sets of marks on the wheel I bet that is what they are from and I would make them replace the wheels because I am sure they would match up to there tire machine.

tc182247-4.jpg

Hope he comes good,looks like who ever did the change took no care what so ever. I'm lucky the guy who doe's my tyres is a rider also and takes the utmost care in not damaging the wheels he also keeps an eye on his young staff to make sure they also use the methods he applies during a change.

A 'free lowering kit'?
If the kit costs not retails for the same amount as the cost of having the rims powdercoated again and your happy lower and with scratched wheels it sounds ok?
So the shop that had zero concern for taking care of your wheels is gonna install the lowering kit for you?

no matter what they wont fix it now. that really sucks man. i want to learn how to change my own tires and balance em so this doesnt happen to my new rims. i hate the shops they all suck :whistle:

They took me in the back, and showed me how they did the tires on another bike, and there is nothing that I seen that could have caused those marks. I honestly do not know how they got there, all I know is they werent there before. They did however own up to the scratches around the wheels, in which they are giving me a free oil change, and gave me the lowering kit. I will lower the bike myself. As far as repowder coating, I will get that done for free. I am going to have my buddy fix the wheels at his performance shop at no cost to me. And I wont be taking my bike to this shop again. Lesson learned from this, is for me to take before and after pics, and have the manager of a shop view the bike with me for the specific part he will be working on prior to the job.

Back