engine wont start/ turn over??

chris d

Registered
Hi my engine wont start, or even turn over. it had been working fantasically all weekend,( apart from going lumpy on tick over every now and then) then after being loaded on to the trailer and taken home, it now won't start, or even turn over on the starter button ??? Ive cheaked the battery, and fully charged it over night, andd this has made no differance? What confuses me is, its not spining over and not starting, it just wont turn over?? i can hear the fuel pump prime etc, any ideas, clues to what it could be?? im very new to motorbike engines!!!!

Dont know if it helps, but ive just taken the plugs out, and it spins over freely, but once the 're back in, still the same:banghead:

Hi, its in a racer, so i don't know the exact year, its an early engine i belive, the only numbers i can see on it are on the block -2E WB on the starter motor end. i have just managed to get it to fire, when i was out looking for the engine numbers, i hit the starter button twice really quickly and it turned it over and fired, but the starter motor doesn't sound ......"good" ???

Just spoken to the guy i brought it off, and he thinks he put a blackbird starter on it?? is this a normal mod? the right/ wrong thing to do? after reading some more about kick back problems etc, i dont want to be cracking the casings!!!!! Will i be alright to race this wkend if i bump start it??

I think 03 and later you don't have to worry about the kick back starter / cracked housing issue. Suzuki fixed that. Here is what I would check in order:

1. Kick stand kill switch.
2. Factory Kill switch on the handle bar.
3. Teathered kill switch (dead man switch), if you are running one.
4. Tip over sensor.
5. Fuses.
6. Remove the starter and have it tested.

Good luck.

P.

Wiggle/check Clutch switch connectors. This had me scratching my head for a few minutes last week on my '03

Mine did the same thing and the starter was toast.The guy I got it from jumped it too many times and the magnets in the starter delammed and were stuck to the armature.New starter from crank n fire and it starts great now.You can have them rebuilt as long as the magnets and the armature are good.

hi chris, i have an 04 busa with a very similar problem, due to laziness and ignorance i havent done much abt it, but a buddy of mine had a similar problem with a different bike,an r1 i think,and traced it to a faulty starter motor, internals of which were expanding due to the heat of engine! i am going to clean and check the starting circuit on my own bike finishing with a look at the starter...but it could be the starter relay...AARRGGHH!!! we shall see.

Back