Spark Plug threads broke off clean.

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So I checked my spark plugs prior to my ride to western north carolina and as Im tightening them I go to tighten the 4th one and just before it even gets tight (i didnt overtighten it) it just turns loose again. I pull the tool out and the spark plug is missing the threads which broke off .... pics show what it looks like.

Now is there a tool I can buy or just take the bike to a shop? The pics after that are pics of what the spark plugs looked like. Looks like the engine is running good unless Im wrong? All the plugs looked the same.

I have never heard of the threads breaking off like this. Stripped, yes. But broken off completely? And I didnt even overtighten them... I had the torque wrench set on 5 ft lbs.... which i believe its 8 in the manual

DSC08279.jpg

DSC08277.jpg

DSC08274.jpg

Damn dude that sucks. You may need to pull the head to get that out.

If you take the valve cover off, you might get close enough to the area to extract it. If you decide to try this, I can walk you through it.

Besides, if you had of used a Chinese wrench, this probably wouldn't have happened. :laugh:

Oh and I have blue loctite on the threads in there so im sure thats going to play hell if I get a thread extractor...

Yep looks like Im taking it to a shop to get the head pulled. Wow what an expensive adventure over a POS spark plug. I guess even being safe by not even doing the proper torque value you can still get screwed :banghead:

Try taking the valve cover off 1st. You're going to need to remove the gas tank and the airbox to get to it. In the future I would put nothing on your threads....the plugs don't need to be very tight. I am thinking that you may be able to get a pair of needle nose pliers and expend them enough to grip the broken part of the plug, then screw it out.

Try taking the valve cover off 1st. You're going to need to remove the gas tank and the airbox to get to it. In the future I would put nothing on your threads....the plugs don't need to be very tight. I am thinking that you may be able to get a pair of needle nose pliers and expend them enough to grip the broken part of the plug, then screw it out.

Im too chicken for that. Just going to take it to a shop and pay an stupid amount just for the peace of mind.... :-(

Ive already seen enough google search stuff that have scared me into just taking it to a shop. I have a good one local that i trust and does good work

I had this happen to me with my Ford Expedition, took 2 weeks in the shop for them to get the plugs out.

I had this happen to me with my Ford Expedition, took 2 weeks in the shop for them to get the plugs out.

Hopefully wont take that long for my shop to do it... I guess while I have it in there I will have them check the valves and everything. Oh well

F my life. I hate it when stupid crap happens.

Shouldn't be hard for them to extract, except some guy installed them with locktite :laugh: No more locktite and put the cheater bar down :poke:

Sucks to hear. Hope it is a fairly cheap fix for you. Why did you put loctite on the plugs to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell...just get a screw extractor (easy out) and remove the broken piece.

And DO NOT EVER USE Loctite on SPARK PLUGS!!!

Just a dab of anti seize on the threads is all you should ever use.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell...just get a screw extractor (easy out) and remove the broken piece.

And DO NOT EVER USE Loctite on SPARK PLUGS!!!

Just a dab of anti seize on the threads is all you should ever use.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know what spark plugs are made of but you might need to run a small magnet down in the cylinder afterwards to extract any trash from the extraction.

Buy a left handed drill bit for your easout and I bet it will unscrew before you even get it drilled for the easout.

I don't know what spark plugs are made of but you might need to run a small magnet down in the cylinder afterwards to extract any trash from the extraction.

I bet NGK is not even sure what that one was made of:laugh:

Back