Gearbox problems, can't change gears etc

pilotea

Registered
To make a long story short...

I own a megabusa, the other day I was out driving suddenly the gearbox started acting up on me, I tried to down/upshift and suddenly my rear wheels locked up on me and I was stuck. I manage to get the car in neutral and got towed home on a trailer.

I pulling the engine tomorrow morning. I expect one or 2 shift forks might be either broken or bend, any other things that might show up? I am not a gearbox mechanic but i'm giving it a go...

Now that I have my engine out anyway, would it make sense to have 1st/2nd undercut? Never really had any issues with the gears dropping out, an occasional rattle when trying to get into 4th was frequent, what could that be?

Thanks for anyones input!

check your shift shafts and forks. The forks get worn or crack and the shaft can get bent.

Also look at the shift drum and the small pins for any wear.

might as well put a billet heavy duty output shaft in it too if you got about 500 bucks laying around

check your shift shafts and forks. The forks get worn or crack and the shaft can get bent.

Also look at the shift drum and the small pins for any wear.

Not only bent, one it actually broken in two parts.

I had some problems sometimes when I wanted 4th gear, the gearbox didn't really wanted to change into 4th and had a funny rattling sound like it wen't in and out of gear, that could/should cause the shift fork to flip forward and back? If that is the case it might be the reason it broke. If the gear cannot be selected proberly, would that be a "dog" problem or just because the fork(s) are quite worn? I plan to put the stuff together soon, took quite a while to get the engine out as this was my first time, so I want things to work when its put together :-)

The trans gears are pretty darn strong in the busa. The week links are the forks which get worn and can crack, the shafts for the forks can flex and bend, and the output shaft spline for the sprocket can crack and twist.

remember i'm running a 450 Kg car, but I take your advice and leave the gears as is, I need to replace all 3 forks, I plan to replace the shafts with the APE ones, looks like the dogs on the 3/4th gear is badly worn as well.

Back