Bike Overheating

Vnaik

Registered
Hey Guys i recently changed my exhaust system from a full D&D 4-2-1 to stock headers with two brothers shorty cans...had the radiator fluids flushed and changed.....my mechanic thinks that its over heating beacuse of the new slip ons.....which is a bunch of bull **** i think :moon:....i have checked the basic like the radiator cap ....my back is killing me so i am unable to work on the bike myself currently....but willl burp the system and do the basics suggested by the forum ....can you please list what i need to check for .....thinking about the second fan mod....my mechanic suggested that i get the carbs enriched.... i am unsure if this is the way to proceed.....Please help ....thanks in advance for all your help also if you have a fan sitting around let me know :)

Is the overheating happening in the same or similar riding conditions that you have been in? You probably have some air in the cooling system since you just had it flushed. It is not your exhaust though and since your "mechanic" suggested that, I would not be surprised if he messed up the coolant job.

Pretty sure its common for most Gen 1's to overheat. I can say for my Gen1, it overheats often if weather is warm and idling for long periods of time, usually in traffic. Try that search bar above for threads on this subject.

GSXRHP can get you a second radiator that attaches in front of stock one.
Posted via Mobile Device

i used purple ice additive with my coolant. and it does not overheat. the fan comes on but no overheating it does not go past the middle notch....

when you say over heat...do you mean gauge goes to the red...or fan just kicks on and cools back down? Are you riding when it over heats or sitting?

Probably just need to burp the cooling system...I would start there.

you may want to think of engine ice or water wetter as well for the coolant.

....and I believe your bike is fuel injected...no carburators. So not sure what he meant by enrich the carbs. Did it have a PC on it with the full exhaust? and if so did you go ahead and take it off after going back stock?

Thanks you guys.....

Bike overheats within 5-10 minutes of slow moving traffic......when i had the D & D exhaust it would over heat in 30-40 minutes of slow moving traffic........i will change the coolant to engine ice......Yes the needle goes to RED in a very short period of time....when i am on the highway its just below the half way mark. Temperatures here are not very high currently as i am in western Canada......Usually i am in slow moving traffic with a lot of stop and go..... thanks for the input guys....

If it's not air in the cooling system , it's possible that something happened with a sensor or wire that's keeping the fan from coming on. You said the header was swapped.

Yep the header was swapped....can you point out to me where the sensor is or the switch for the sensor....i will try and burp the bike.....

Ok so now that my back is feeling better i was able to do an oil change and a coolant change on the bike......here are some issues that i discovered when i pulled the farings off:

1. Overflow bottle was empty inspite of being upto F when i had the coolant change 2 weeks ago.
2. when i let the bike run for about 15 minutes it got to almost red and then fan did not kick in till it was almost in the red.
3. My understanding was that the fan was supposed to kick in when the needle was past the half way mark or before it.
4. When i drained the coolant and put in new coolant it did not take the 2.3 Ml specified in the owners manual it barely took in 1.8 ml. After that i added in some purple ice.
5. rocked the bike side to side and let it run for a bit and then drained and refilled again.
6. i filled the overflow bottle till about full and then when i ran the bike there was more than half the bottle was full.

i am at a loss here i need some help you guys.......like i said before my mechanic suggested getting it mapped ....i know a little about engines and do not believe:thumbsup: this is the rout to go......inputs please

one of the 5 fan temp sensors are bad. I had to replace two of mine cause the fan wouldn't come on at all. I looked at the wiring diagram and couldn't believe there are 5 series resistors that trip each other for the fan to work. fan should kick on at half way mark... and IMO if your overflow was empty then the tech didn't burp system. don't feel too bad, when I took mine in to work on they crossthreaded a fairing bolt and jammed it in there, had to ez-out it. I hate shops

My 05 never overheated or went to the red mark in 4 years of ownership. Not once. Check everything over, sensor, proper fluid levels, and get the air out of the system. Find a new mechanic too.

hook a battery lead right to the fan to confirm that the fan works. The sensor for the fan is located on the left side of the rad. I would pull the sensor, clean it and reinstal. Then check to see if the fuse is good. If the fuse is good I would run the engine to see if the fan kicks on. If not, check to make sure the wires to the fan are operational and check the sensor too.
Following all the burping methods for the cooling system. Start/stop/check/fill...

There are no carbs on your busa and enrichening the fuel mixture wont solve the cooling issue problems you currently have.

It's your thermostat, take the sucker out....test it, raplace it or get rid of it, put some water wetter, burp it...do the second fan mod later, that should do it, "my mechanic thinks that its over heating beacuse of the new slip ons " ..that's a bunch of bull...:rofl:tell you "mechanic" that you changed the pipes, adjusted the carbs and the bike is running like never before...lol....poor b...ard...I got a big bore engine with the fan mod, no thermostat ,one battery and watter wetter works like a champ even if I'm stuck in traffic, I'm stationed in PR (hate it...not)...let us know...
:beerchug:

Puerto Rico....loving it!, all year round riding and racing...let me know if you solved the problem and if you need help just ask we are more than willing to help...hey jump the sensor that's in the radiator (left side) get a piece of wire jump it, the fan should come on, if not it's your fuse or the fan is bad...

Back