Speedo Issue

race24x

Registered
OK for the last 4-5 years my speedo has only worked when its cold. Once the bike warms up and you go some distance it stops working. Has anyone else had this issue? Every ride starts out it working fine and ends up after about 5 miles it quits. If anyone has a speedo sensor I could borrow to trouble shoot that would help also. I hope its not the cluster. All of the other guages work fine all the time. I have checked for loose wires wiggled everything took things apart and cleaned them, still nothing helps. 2000 Busa

Have you cleaned your sensor lately? Those things get all goobered up over time with gunk from the chain.

I have cleaned it a few times it doesnt seem to help. The funny thing is it works great when its cold for quite a while until the engine is warmed up. On a hot summer day it may only work for a mile or two.

the only time my speedo acted like that on my 06 was after a wash one day. i took it to the car wash and hosed it down realy good. when i left, the needle stayed on 0. but after a while it worked just fine. i think i just got water into my speedo healer, and after it dried out all was good. do you have a speed healer or anything like that?

I did check the dash connection,but I think I will try it one more time and add some dielectic grease. Its frustrating. If I wash my bike it will work for a while or every time I take it out especially when cold it works for a while it just seems when the heat gets to it it stops. I thought maybe someone would have one reasonable or one I could borrow to test. No speedo healer ot anything like that

maybe its a bad wire some place... that is odd. when you find out you got to let us know what it was

What the hell? Not sure I have any ideas, I couldn't even think up a problem like that. I think I have a sensor if you just want to replace it. (the nut-looking part) Gimme like $3 to ship, I think it was $12-15 at suzuki) Other than that, no clue.

Back