Fuel pump cleaning on 06.

soundman

Registered
Started working on Busa 2 this week once I got the new tank in. Got the tank lined, and installed, cranked the bike and it would hardly run. I checked fuel flow and it was obviously low, so I pulled the tank and removed the fuel pump for cleaning. I had looked on the forum for instructions and didn't find anything so I figured I'd post up some pics and step by step.

I pulled the fuel pump and made a note of where the wires attach to the terminals on the inside of the tank, then removed the nuts holding the wires in place.

IMAG0219.jpg

Once the wires were removed I removed the screws that go through the tabs that attach the base of the fuel pump to the fuel pump filter body.

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

Once these screws were removed I tapped the base of the pump with a rubber mallet to get it to release from the base.

IMAG0222.jpg

Yes it definitely needed help.

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

After I used carburator cleaner to clean the reservoir in the base I removed the plastic clip and rubber retainer that keep the fuel strainer in place.

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

Using carb cleaner I flushed the fuel strainer then removed the actual pump from the filter body.

I started flushing the filter by spraying carb cleaner into the outlet side of the filter but soon realized that there was more gunk in the filter than I had cleaner to flush it with.

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

So being the master of redneckery that I am and also taking into consideration that I haven't had a day off in weeks and am 40 miles from the nearest dealership I fashioned a filter flusher using an empty dawn bottle and a piece of 1/4" fuel line.

IMAG0237.jpg

I filled the bottle with gas and inserted the fuel line into the outlet side of the filter and began to flush.

IMAG0238.jpg

I filled and emptied and refilled the bottle 3 times. The gas went in looking like this.

IMAG0239.jpg

and came out looking like this

IMAG0240.jpg

Once the gas coming out of the filter was as clean as the gas going in I re-assembled the pump and tested it using a power supply and a basin of gas. The pump was flowing much more fuel than it was before I started. One note. There are several o-rings that have to be re-fitted during reassembly and spraying the with silicone lube made everything go back together easily.

Fuel pump re-installed, tank back in place, crank the bike. MUCH BETTER. Bike revs out and runs great as far as I can tell. It will be much clearer once I get it on the road. I'm only a set of tires, a chain, and some cleaning and assembly from having it on the road.

What the :cursin: did you do? I have only seen a pump that dirty when i was 15 and had no idea how to preserve a tank and its fuel lines for winter storage.. is this what happened here?

What the :cursin: did you do? I have only seen a pump that dirty when i was 15 and had no idea how to preserve a tank and its fuel lines for winter storage.. is this what happened here?

This is the second of two Hayabusas that I purchased from an estate. The bikes had been sitting under someone's patio for 4 years. The first bike had some rust in the tank but nothing terminal. I just cleaned and coated the tank, cleaned the fuel tank strainer and it was fine.

On this bike I knew that the tank seemed to have more rust but didn't know how bad it was till I was checking out the integrity of the tank with a rubber mallet and it went through the side!.

Enter this tank and fuel pump from ebay. Actually the fuel pump was a bonus because I didn't even know the tank would come with it. Thus the rust. At least this pump ran. The pump that was in the original tank was fused together.

On a side note, have you ever seen a gunk covered fuel pump submersed in gasoline treated with seafoam? It fizzed like Alka Seltzer! I thought I was having some weird electrical reaction till I saw that my power supply wasn't hooked up!.

Wow thats nasty ,
If you do end up needing a pump,I have a pristine pump(only)I can sell you on the cheap.It is from my turbo install.
Hope you don't need it, and this cleaning works out fine for you:thumbsup:

thanks for the step-by-step bro:thumbsup:

i recently got an 06 and am not sure of its history... everything is cool so far, but its nice to have resources like this just in case:beerchug:

Great thread, this was precisely the problem with my bike. I had the 6000 rpm stumble like so many, and the fuel pump intake screen was packed with rust.
The stumble was only intermittent last year, but pretty consistent this year, so I finally deduced that it was the filter.

k8
Using carb cleaner I flushed the fuel strainer then removed the actual pump from the filter body.

I started flushing the filter by spraying carb cleaner into the outlet side of the filter but soon realized that there was more gunk in the filter than I had cleaner to flush it with.

View attachment 1545781

View attachment 1545782

View attachment 1545783

So being the master of redneckery that I am and also taking into consideration that I haven't had a day off in weeks and am 40 miles from the nearest dealership I fashioned a filter flusher using an empty dawn bottle and a piece of 1/4" fuel line.

View attachment 1545784

I filled the bottle with gas and inserted the fuel line into the outlet side of the filter and began to flush.

View attachment 1545785

I filled and emptied and refilled the bottle 3 times. The gas went in looking like this.

View attachment 1545786

View attachment 1545787

Once the gas coming out of the filter was as clean as the gas going in I re-assembled the pump and tested it using a power supply and a basin of gas. The pump was flowing much more fuel than it was before I started. One note. There are several o-rings that have to be re-fitted during reassembly and spraying the with silicone lube made everything go back together easily.

Fuel pump re-installed, tank back in place, crank the bike. MUCH BETTER. Bike revs out and runs great as far as I can tell. It will be much clearer once I get it on the road. I'm only a set of tires, a chain, and some cleaning and assembly from having it on the road.
ü7

Thanks Soundman for a great thread. Helped me a lot with cleaning out my fuel pump assembly. Hi all. New on the forum. Just bought an 07 Busa. Same story, deceased estate and the bike had been standing with a virtually empty tank for between 4 and 5 years. I cant believe now ,that it ran so well on the test ride and then on the 40km trip home with all the rust and gunk that was in the tank and fuel pump. Picking up the re-lined tank tomorrow and will put the bike back together on the weekend. Cant wait to see how she goes then :thumbsup:

Thanks Soundman for a great thread. Helped me a lot with cleaning out my fuel pump assembly. Hi all. New on the forum. Just bought an 07 Busa. Same story, deceased estate and the bike had been standing with a virtually empty tank for between 4 and 5 years. I cant believe now ,that it ran so well on the test ride and then on the 40km trip home with all the rust and gunk that was in the tank and fuel pump. Picking up the re-lined tank tomorrow and will put the bike back together on the weekend. Cant wait to see how she goes then :thumbsup:
Introduce yourself and your bike in the new members forum, welcome to the Busa madness

View attachment 1545781

View attachment 1545782

View attachment 1545783

View attachment 1545784

View attachment 1545785

View attachment 1545786

View attachment 1545787

I'm at that point but never have done it...done wanna mess anything up... did u replace o rings an if so where did u get new rings from?

I did this last week got o rings off Ebay I found the part numbers off Partzilla. Googled part numbers and purchased them from eBay

Back