Another issue I think

karnage

Registered
Bike sat a few days since i last started it.Rolled out of the garage to fire it up and it cranked over and sputtered a bit, kept trying to start and acted like battery was low again.It may have been low from sitting.It seems to be really cold blooded.Is it normal to take longer to start when cold??Just seems to not have enought fuel when cold??The tank is low but once warmed up, fired easliy.What are the quirks of these bikes when cold.Maybe when its ran everyday I wont have this issue.

hi, what year bike? how many miles? how cold? how fresh is your battery? do you use a battery tender? if you arent riding that much, you probably want to fill the tank up. less chance of condensation/ rust.

i have an 04 and i use the fast idle to start it when its cold.

Just use the choke for about a min then shut it off. Winter or summer. Don't use throttle while choke is on

Dont you have a high compression motor? It may be a little harder to start when cold. Sorry rocket, but these bikes are fuel injected and dont have chokes. He can use the throttle when the fast idle in engaged. You will also need to make sure the battery is good and full of acid.

I say the battery needs tending.. if its old, the winter months can kill a battery almost instantly. Makes the slow starting. good luck.. :beerchug:

I looked it up. Pg 19 of my manual describes the choke that is equipped on my bike. It does also say it opens throttle valve slightly to raise idle speed. So U call it fast idle I call it choke. We r talking about same thing I think.

yeah the battery was low, maybe around 12.39 volts.I need a tender for sure.Its pretty much a new battery, maybe a couple weeks old.It has a new starter.I need to fill the tank as well.I use the fast idle start, just seems to not have enough fuel when cold.Its a 2005 busa with 7000 on it.Fresh tune and oil change.Guess I figured its fuel injected it should fire right up like most FI cars.I remember the old GSXR1100 with the 4 carbs and getting them fired up from cold.

it should. mine fired right up on 20 degree days.and that's letting it sit outside for 4 hours while I am in class. get the battery tender and I hope it works for ya man.

Back