Problem found I hope

karnage

Registered
When I introduced myself I said I had a starting issue.Well the new battery took the charge and according to batteries plus is has 200 CCA and voltage was good.So on to the next step.Bypass the starter relay to see if maybe that is bad, same issue.Crank and then nothing.Took the starter gear cover off and took the bendex gear out, starter turns fine but sounds weird.Well after tearing my new bike apart(guess i better get used to it)I get the starter out and get it apart.The magnets fell out, the armature looks fried and the commutator looks burned up.I wonder if he jumped this thing too many times.The brushes look pretty good but it smells like burned varnish like when a 480 motor burns up.I am a seasoned car mechanic of 20 years but new to the street bike repair game.So do you guys think that is it??LOL!!:lol:

when electrical motors burn out usually they wont turn at all in most cases i guess but motorcycle starters are not cheap to be just buying one on a guess... but when everything was together what was the initial problem ? was it turning over and just not starting or slowly turning over or just a click?

EDIT --- thats just my educated guess ive never had a chance to deal with a burned starter

It barely cranked over due to the magnets delaminating and sticking to the armature.There wasnt enough field to turn the armature fast enough.Actually with just the starter and no gears to the crank, it turned slow.The magnets were chewed up.I had the armature tested and he said it was good and usable but gluing the magnets back in was a 50/50 chance if the clearance would be fine.If it too tight, it wont turn at all.I bought a new starter and should have it in a few days.I am also doing the 7500 mile tuneup while in there.

Glad to here you got it figured out and :welcome: to the org.

I have heard of issues like this when using jumper cables. You can jump your bikes battery as long as the vehicle you are using is not running. Sorry you are having this issue.

Yeah I think the guy I got the bike from must have jumped the bike a few times.I would think the starter could take that abuse.When the starter gets here I will let you know what happens but I am sure this was it.

Back