6000rpm rev limiter?????

dk55belair

Registered
Back in the fall, i put new plugs in the busa, wired a plug for my gps and took an overnighter and 750 miles. We stopped in Ga and bought gas at a circle K and rode some curves and the found a nice straightaway after about 30 miles since fueling.

I nailed in the straight away and everytime since, the bike will cut out around 6-7k rpms. I took the gps and assy plug off, then took the plugs out and regapped them, checked the battery cables, and charged the battery up fully(less than 2yrs old). Then I unplugged the tre and nothing changes.

I added fuel treatment and seafoam, nothing. I drained the tank and refilled last weekend and nothing changed.

I reinstalled the old plugs today and took it out, 6-7k and she falls on it face.

I am thinking of checking the fuel filter next, any pointers?

Also, Mcmustang followed me on a ride in the Fall and said she smelled rich. (i wondered why he was crying)

Thanks,
Doug

If the bike is running rich how would that tie back to a fuel filter? Does it exhibit the same behavior in every gear at that RPM?

I had a temp sensor go bad in a 78 280Z I had one time...made it think it was cold all the time and ran waaaay too rich all the time. 20 dollar sensor and she was all better. Not sure about the bike since it seems to be tied to a specific RPM. I guess rpms could be tied to flow limited or a clogged filter.

it started after i bought gas that day, so i think it could be the filter. Are there any recommendations on fuel pumps if it isnt the filter?

I know the factory pumps are $$$$$$$$$$$

Something I just thought about.
I have Willie's bike in garage, I could swap tanks and that would determine if it's fuel pump or filter wouldn't it?
His 2003 mine 2004

check any sensors. i had a similar problem on an f4i because the kickstand switch was installed in the wrong position. took months to figure that out... so it could be some safety feature for some random sensor you may have messed with or bumped when changing the plugs

you didn't use iridium plugs, did you? you aren't supposed to gap the plugs that have the tiny point...

I put NGK Cr9e, and the only difference was the R, but I put my old plugs back in yesterday and no change at all. I will check the kickstand switch too as it was bypassed when i got the bike.
thanks Dragon, for mentioning that

no problem!
actually, since the bike sounds like it's in "safe mode" to me, check the manuals on here to see if there's a diagnostic mode. hold a couple buttons while turning the bike on and it will flash so many times to tell you what's up. i've done it on other bikes but i don't see why busas wouldn't have it

Ok, I swapped my tank with Willies tonight and stalled it up, she redlined in a half a second, so I tore the fuel pump filter out and found the strainer and resv. full of rust. The inside of my tank looks good, so I am still blaming the fill up in Georgia.

IMG_9985.jpg

IMG_9993.jpg

IMG_9994.jpg

IMG_9996.jpg

Back