Electrical bug...

O Holy P

Registered
This isn't a huge issue, more of an annoyance. Shortly after I bought the bike back in '09 every time I'd put it on the side stand and leave it running for just a few seconds, occasionally it would just die. At that point it really bugged me so I was looking for anything that could have been the culprit. I finally narrowed it down to a big relay on the fuse box that is tied into the turn signals and I guess maybe the tip over inertial switch (>??). I replaced it and It was good as far as I knew. Well tonight I put it on the side stand again just before putting it in the garage and it suddenly died. Like the key was turned off or the kill switch was hit. Man I hate little electrical issues like this. This is probably the same reason why my gear indicator when I'm sitting in Neutral at a light for any length of time will randomly just reset and go thru the boot up sequence, if I'm sitting long enough it will do it 2 or 3 times. Really annoying! But I guess the power interruption isn't long enough for it to stall the bike...ugh.

Anyway, any of you electrical guru's have any insight to this issue? Should I attempt to change the relay again? I bought a used one, but maybe that one was crap and now it's going to get worse? Man I don't know...it bugs the hell out of me though!

Please help.

Tell me about it, and I'm a mechanic among other things. :laugh: I hate dealing with electrical boooolchit!

sounds like a loose ground. The ground on the ecu on my vtx was loose, it took two honda dealers and over a week for them to find it.

could also be the plug in for the gauge assembly itself. and possibly the neutral switch is hard wired through it and making the bike think it's going into gear with the kickstand down, causing it to shut off.

i've had the resetting problem for the gauge before and the connector was corroded, causing issues. cleaning it and packing it with dielectric grease solved it for the rest of the life of the bike

otherwise i'd check the neutral switch (probably bolted into the transmission on the left hand outside) or the kickstand switch itself

Back