Chain Resting on Chain Guard?

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
Was pre-flighting the bike before riding today, and noticed that the chain on my new bike (60 miles) is almost resting on the chain guard where it bolts into the swingarm. I don't remember having this issue with the other Busa, and didn't notice it on this bike till today. This may simply be because I'm still relatively new to the Busa and am becoming more familiar with the bike as I conduct more preflights.

The chain isn't sagging, and there's not any play (I can't pull it from the rear sprocket). Just don't recall it being so close to the chain protector on the old Busa.

Canceled my plans to ride today because I want to be sure this is normal; this may be no big deal and something I've simply not noticed before, but I'm not taking chances.

Thanks,

Mike

is the chain slack within the specified limits? with the rear on a stand, does the tire spin freely?

If you put it neutral and push down on the lower part of the chain does it come up very much off the guide. Mines Gen1 and the chain is almost on my guide when parked on the side stand but once my svelte 230lbs is on it, it's fine.

noticed that the chain on my new bike (60 miles)

Quote from another thread on 11/27 " I have four months' of relatively infrequent riding experience on the bike, so have been feeling her out slowly."

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...42566-what-rpm-does-oh-my-god-mode-begin.html

Either you have OCD or you have no business with a bike of this magnitude. You've put 60 miles on the bike in 4 months and now you're stroking because you can not determine if the chain adjustment is within specs. I don't want to sound like I'm beating on you but I think you have bitten off more than you want to chew and now you are looking for a reason to leave it on the kickstand.

While sitting on the bike you should have about 1 1/2" of up/down movement on the bottom side of the chain. The top of the chain should be tight from front to to rear(sprocket to sprocket) while all the slack should be on the bottom(when checking slack for adjustment). Sit on the bike in neutral and roll it back and forth until you achieve this. You can check the slack off the bike too, but sitting on it is ideal, that way the suspension is compressed under your body weight. You should be able to reach the chain easily with your left hand sitting on the bike to check your slack.
If it's too tight you'll hear it popping on the sprocket's teeth. It wil lalso limit your suspension's ability to work properly, resulting in a bumpy ride and less than adequate performance through high speed corners.
If it's too loose you'll hear the chain clanking or rattling, and a slight hesitation and popping sound under hard acceleration.
Your chain is probably ok, but it's normal for them to stretch during break in. You'll probably need to tighten it some soon.
You should learn how to adjust your chain by yourself too, with a little extra slack in it. That way when you get on the bike and your weight compresses the suspension, you end up with the correct amount of slack.
Your chain is fine to touch the guide also, that's what it's there for, assuming the chain is adjusted correctly. It's no big deal and many of us here are happy to help you.
Better to ask now than regret later.:beerchug:

Mine rests on the guide and you may rest assured everything is properly adjusted and nothing is worn.

:laugh:

cheers
ken

kickstand 003.jpg

Quote from another thread on 11/27 " I have four months' of relatively infrequent riding experience on the bike, so have been feeling her out slowly."

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...42566-what-rpm-does-oh-my-god-mode-begin.html

Either you have OCD or you have no business with a bike of this magnitude. You've put 60 miles on the bike in 4 months and now you're stroking because you can not determine if the chain adjustment is within specs. I don't want to sound like I'm beating on you but I think you have bitten off more than you want to chew and now you are looking for a reason to leave it on the kickstand.

It's the 2nd Busa he's had in the last four months.
He's only had this one a week or so.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/134890-first-ride.html

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/142112-got-rid-bikes-looking-another.html

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/142350-bye-bye-busa-hello-busa.html

My fault. He put 600 on the first one before he traded it for the sedan. So it is 660 miles on 2 bikes in four months. I stand by my statement.

My fault. He put 600 on the first one before he traded it for the sedan. So it is 660 miles on 2 bikes in four months. I stand by my statement.

So let's see if it was a 150cc scooter it would be ok to ask questions but since it's a Hayabusa and he did not design it it's not ok to ask questions ?
I didn't realize you had to be an MMI graduate to own a busa and aren't entitled to ask questions.
Guess you'll never have any yourself huh ?

^^^^ i like your style blanca :laugh::laugh: i just love it when people have to be smart asses and act like they know what there talking about and try to belittle someone....any who's... mine sits on the chain guard too, but when i sit on it, it raises off of it a little bit

So let's see if it was a 150cc scooter it would be ok to ask questions but since it's a Hayabusa and he did not design it it's not ok to ask questions ?
I didn't realize you had to be an MMI graduate to own a busa and aren't entitled to ask questions.

LMFAO!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seems like you should take ride over and show him a couple things Blanca...his bike is white after all:laugh:

Wouldn't be a bad idea or ride. He's only a couple hours away from me.
Mike let me know. I'll ride up one weekend and we can go over whatever you need .

hmmm im a MMI grad.. .... so according to mr. blanca i got some awesome **** under my belt... lol aww wait im only yamaha certified.. dam im a failure:banghead:

:rulez:

I'm just fooling wit ya :)
Congrats on something you should be very proud of .

great information for people that didnt know anything about motorcycles but they dont teach half the should they should..but learn alil bit to find more out from experience and as a hobby.. but sorry for the thread jacking.. lol just

Back