New Busa Owner A Few Problems

Rdmetz

Registered
I have just bought a 2001 Blue/Silver busa and its not in the best of shape but it is my 1st bike and yes I know Busa shouldnt be my 1st bike but as I am 6'9" and weigh 315lbs I just wasnt comfortable on anything else I tried before I bought the busa...

But I have a few problems with the bike 1st my undertail section is completely gone its been cut out of the bike but not just back to the locking mechanism for the cowl its gone all the back to the front seat... when I pull my cowl off I can see the just the tire there is no storage.

I want to buy an undertail but from what I am gathering from the installation instructions of most undertails they should only be cut back to the bar thar runs under the rear seat and the rest of the undertray as I believe its called is left for storage. Well I dont have that and I would like to have it what can I do here is the undertray available for purchase or what would it be a part of?

My gauges are damaged and scuffed up cannot read them very well at all I'm just going to most likely buy a new set of gauges unless there is a front plate that includes the actual plastic lenses like for the turn signals oil and neutral and the clear plastics covers for the Speedo and RPM's..I would prefer not to have to buy new gauges if I can just get the front panel with those parts as part of it..because of the mileage differences with new gauges.

There is more to the bike I would like to address but without photos it seems kinda hard to describe I would just like a little advice on these two problems at the moment and will be back with photos and some other questions I have....

I've been riding the bike for about 2 Months and I love it...really the best thing I've bought to entertain myself in years and its getting me more and more interested in what I can do to make the bike my own but 1st I wanna get it to back to at least normal condition :lol:

The forums have been really helpful in getting some things cleared up and fixing a few problems I've already addressed...the marble pear valve fix was just awesome I was getting so tired of the backfire from the yoshi pipes the previous owner put on. Now I'm just trying to get it whipped into shape my plastics are in need of some tlc both have bad rash and quite a few pop rivets are missing or broken I'll leave the rest for later but please any advice on these two problems would be appricatied

My gauges are damaged and scuffed up cannot read them very well at all I'm just going to most likely buy a new set of gauges unless there is a front plate that includes the actual plastic lenses like for the turn signals oil and neutral and the clear plastics covers for the Speedo and RPM's..I would prefer not to have to buy new gauges if I can just get the front panel with those parts as part of it..because of the mileage differences with new gauges.

First off :welcome: to the Org!!

Ok so your gauges.. the plastic that protects the gauges is whats scuffed im guessing? The gauges themselves arent broken correct? If so you just need a new gauges cover for it... Wont be an easy find but im sure one can be found with a little asking around and shopping... Let me work my wonders with eBay and google to see what i can find for you

Thanks its just the front part the is damaged the needles and all the electronics are fine just the font panel is scratched up the back part is fine and I just need a new front panel but most I've looked for are just some type of attachment that goes over the oem panel

Thanks its just the front part the is damaged the needles and all the electronics are fine just the font panel is scratched up the back part is fine and I just need a new front panel but most I've looked for are just some type of attachment that goes over the oem panel

Yeah no need to get new gauges as you will just need the front cover... Hopefully someone will chime in with an extra or something. Ill keep my eyes open if I see one

Where are you? I have A LOT of extra stuff and may have something for you, but since this is your first scooter, it might help you out a lot to get someone near by to come and offer a friendly oRg hand...

wouldn't a headlight polishing kit work to repair the scratches?

Not if they are bad enough. It may make his situation a little better. We would need pics of the damage though.

Take pics of the bike! :thumbsup: :rulez: How could i forget :whistle:

wouldn't a headlight polishing kit work to repair the scratches?

Yes, and there are several plastic polishes available at most autoparts stores.
You can search ebay and the classifieds here for the underseat plastic and the undertail.
A plastic trash can or file box makes nice under seat storage too, search for Gen2 trunk mod here. The gen1 works the same, you just can't make the box as deep because the gen1 tail doesn't curve down to hide the box, as does the gen2.

Welcome! Pics would definitely help and I'm sure there are lots of folks with some extra stuff. :whistle:

The gauges are in bad shape and have phyiscal damage like a chunk of the carbon fiber plastic is like chunked off if that makes since...lol and the turn signal black paint is gone so it just blinks green with out an arrow I will post pics in the morning its just too dark right now

The visor assembly is > $200 new. What I would do is buy a cheep speedo cluster with busted tabs or bad electronics, but with a good visor, then swap the visor onto your cluster.

Thanks and pics are forthcoming took them this morning before heading off to work but cant upload them from here gotta wait til I get off be about 2 hours or so from now

Ok here is a few pics of what I've been talking about I went ahead and did it here at work I'll have more pics of other things wrong with the bike later

The Gauges
25q5emg.jpg

The MIA undertail

34e7vbp.jpg

Close Up of the Gauges showing fading and scuffs on the gauge fronts

ofu2xd.jpg

Back