bike skips first.

597busa

Registered
Anyone have any ideas why my 02 busa skips first and goes straight to second from neutral? And I also notice when driving at slower speeds in any gear the bike feels and sounds like it is rocking back and forth (like giving it throttle and letting off it non stop). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

what he said, 1down, 5 up.

Check your chain, it might have a tight spot. Is it regularly lubed and how many miles are on it?

I was thinking the same. It should go to second straight from neutral going up and straight to first going down, or maybe we didn't understood your statement.

Ok maybe that's why I am confused. Bike in neutral shift up and bike engages into second. Why? Why skip first? And why does the bike feel and sound like it is rocking back and forth in gears 1 - 4? And thanks all for the welcome
Posted via Mobile Device

what he said, 1down, 5 up.

Check your chain, it might have a tight spot. Is it regularly lubed and how many miles are on it?

It has 14000 miles and I am not sure on the lube aspect I haven't done it but have only had it for a month. Not sure on all the do's and don'ts of a bike this is my first one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok maybe that's why I am confused. Bike in neutral shift up and bike engages into second. Why? Why skip first? And why does the bike feel and sound like it is rocking back and forth in gears 1 - 4? And thanks all for the welcome
Posted via Mobile Device

That how the gears are... 1, neutral, 2,3,4,5,6
that why we say 1 down 5 up.
As far as the rocking not sure if gear got somthing to do with it can be something else check the chain as the stated already.

Ok, serious advice, I hope you take it and don't get upset about getting it, cause, well, you need it.

1) Go sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Do it now. Online.
2) Motorcycle gears are, push down once, you're in first. Pull up, you're in 2nd. pull up again, 3rd, etc.
Push down to change gears lower. When you get back to 1st, pull up once for neutral.

Do some searching on here for chain maintenance. Sounds like your problem to me.

:welcome: to the org. Lots of people here have lots of advice. You'll find it useful.

Ok, serious advice, I hope you take it and don't get upset about getting it, cause, well, you need it.

1) Go sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Do it now. Online.
2) Motorcycle gears are, push down once, you're in first. Pull up, you're in 2nd. pull up again, 3rd, etc.
Push down to change gears lower. When you get back to 1st, pull up once for neutral.

Do some searching on here for chain maintenance. Sounds like your problem to me.

:welcome: to the org. Lots of people here have lots of advice. You'll find it useful.

I agree with taking the safety motorcycle class...
It will help you a lot.
Bike is not skipping any gears is just how it is. When u about to take of insted of shifting up u have to shift down for first, then u start shifting up to second, third, and so on. The main thing for you to remember right now is that neutral is in between first and second. Be careful on that bike most of us think is too powerful to learn.

+1^n motorcycle safety course!

the "rocking" may be that you are lugging.

too low of rpm in low gear. i am really hesitant to tell you to rev it though... as this is your first bike, do you have any friends that are riders that can give you a walk through till you get a safety class?

Anyone have any ideas why my 02 busa skips first and goes straight to second from neutral? And I also notice when driving at slower speeds in any gear the bike feels and sounds like it is rocking back and forth (like giving it throttle and letting off it non stop). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Is this your first bike, by any chance? :whistle:

EDIT: Nevermind, I've seen your post.

OK, I am going to say this as I feel it: what the HELL are you doing with a Hayabusa as your first bike, especially when you don't even know how the damn gearbox works?! - Or how not to lug the engine, for that matter?! Seriously, if you lack even the most basic knowledge about motorcycles, you should NOT be riding a Hayabusa.

Now, before you get all defensive, you need to understand this: a lot of us feel this way because we don't want you to kill yourself on your new bike. It's nothing personal. We care about our fellow motorcyclists, so when someone does something that puts their life in jeopardy, we get upset.

Unless you're a troll from the R1 forums, in which case GTFO.

Last edited:
+1^n motorcycle safety course!

the "rocking" may be that you are lugging.

too low of rpm in low gear. i am really hesitant to tell you to rev it though... as this is your first bike, do you have any friends that are riders that can give you a walk through till you get a safety class?

When you say lugging should it be doing it when I am in third gear doing 45 mph or so. Don't have issues in 5th or 6th going down expressway. Maybe I am thinking to much like a car when I am riding and wanting to keep lower rpms. The bike is slammed to ground and streched just over ten inchs if that makes a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

welcome. 1st take the keys and put them away. you have no idea how to ride a motorcycle and your going to kill yourself or someone else. take their advise and take a course. 1) how long have you ridden 2) how did you get this bike 3)I'm not going to suggest you check anything, because you obviously know nothing about bikes so leave it to someone who does, don't go messing with stuff. i say all of this with love and respect don't take it wrong you are headed down the wrong rode, especially with this bike. crawl before you walk. again welcome to the org you will learn allot, if you listen to these guys. stay safe and DON'T RIDE THIS BIKE YET.

When you say lugging should it be doing it when I am in third gear doing 45 mph or so. Don't have issues in 5th or 6th going down expressway. Maybe I am thinking to much like a car when I am riding and wanting to keep lower rpms. The bike is slammed to ground and streched just over ten inchs if that makes a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmmm...if the bike has been lowered and stretched then there is a good chance that it isn't running on stock sprockets. Perhaps that's the problem.

Also, this:

welcome. 1st take the keys and put them away. you have no idea how to ride a motorcycle and your going to kill yourself or someone else.

So your first bike isn't just a busa, but a slammed 10 over busa? I hope you have good health insurance. Seriously, find someone local to you that can help you learn the bike. And post some pix. NOT WHILE RIDING.

welcome. 1st take the keys and put them away. you have no idea how to ride a motorcycle and your going to kill yourself or someone else. take their advise and take a course. 1) how long have you ridden 2) how did you get this bike 3)I'm not going to suggest you check anything, because you obviously know nothing about bikes so leave it to someone who does, don't go messing with stuff. i say all of this with love and respect don't take it wrong you are headed down the wrong rode, especially with this bike. crawl before you walk. again welcome to the org you will learn allot, if you listen to these guys. stay safe and DON'T RIDE THIS BIKE YET.

I second this ! If you dont even know the fundamentals of riding a motorcycle, you HAVE NO BUSINESS EVEN OWNING A HAYABUSA. :banghead:

Back