Floating Needle/And Loose Chain

shawnepps1

Registered
I just bought a Used Busa, and I am new to this site.

The Busa is a 07 11k Miles. It has a small front sprocket (two teeth smaller I think) it has dual Yoshi Pipes with commander, and I think that is it.

My prob is when I hit speed up to 110 mph the needle floats really bad on my spedometer.

i.e if I am going 140 the needle will swing from 110-160, so I really have no way to tell how fast I am going.

2nd prob is more a question. My Chain keep getting loose on my bike and the dealership says that is because I do wheelys on it. Is that true? I dont know if they are trying to keep from paying to fix it thru my 3 month warranty that is about to end.

I hope I gave enough to help me.

Last edited:
The dealer is right the chain could be stretching due to wheelies. I don't think they are trying to screw you on the work. As for the speedo gauge it could possibly be the steeper motor is going bad. At least on a car when it bounces like that the motor is usually the problem. You might check the connections it could be loosing connection at a certain rpm from the vibration.

Okay, what is the "steeper motor"? Also, you didt seem 100% positive, is there anyone else that has a opinion?

Last edited:
If the front sprocket was replaced, the speedo problem could be from the speed sensor nut being lose or damaged.

as busawhipped said it could be the speedo sensor the only reason im not positive it is a stepper motor is im not sure if if the gauge is ran by a motor or not. im only speaking from my experince with cars.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am not sure about the speedometer. But, if the chain keeps needing adjustment it could be worn out. Regardless of the reason it keeps stretching it needs replacement. If the dealer wont do it, you need to. If you have already admitted to the dealer you ride wheelies, you may be on your own. Welcome to the oRg.

When my chain had some mile's on it, it would streach almost every 2 hundred mile's. Time for a new chain and sprocket's before it fail's.

It only takes a few minutes to adjust the chain once you've done it a few times. It is a maintenance task you should learn to do. I'd get a better chain.

as busawhipped said it could be the speedo sensor the only reason im not positive it is a stepper motor is im not sure if if the gauge is ran by a motor or not. im only speaking from my experince with cars.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Busa cluster uses stepper motors for the gauges so a bad stepper motor is also a possibility.

a small front sprocket.
My Chain keep getting loose on my bike and the dealership says that is because I do wheelys on it.

The small sprocket up front may be your problem the stock front for a 07 is 17tooth, going down to a 15 tooth will put the chain in a tighter circle thereby putting a bind on the chain making it streach, Most people who have a 15 tooth sprocket usually drag race
Another thing the past owner may have ran the sh_t out of the bike, doing hole shots,drag racing.
Doing wheelies will not cause a chain to streach.
I'd tell the dealer to fix the problem or I'd take my future business some where Else.
The less money a dealer has too put out the more money in his pocket.
I run a 530 DRZ2 pro stock chain on all my bikes, If you going too buy a chain spend the money and get a good one.
When a cheap chain breaks it can take out your water pump.

Back