RF interference on Piggyback ECU

horndog

Registered
Hi Guys, I have tried fitting two different piggyback ECU's to my turbo 2003 Busa dragbike but get alot of RF interference through the ignition. If I run fuel only it runs fine. If I try to run timing control as well, it backfires and misses and generally runs like crap.

Anyone experienced this and if so how did you fix it?

Have you tried shielding the harness for the piggyback ecu? What are you using for a piggyback? power commander? Bazzaz? FuelPak? I'm not sure I understand what you mean my "fuel only" either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you tried shielding the harness for the piggyback ecu? What are you using for a piggyback? power commander? Bazzaz? FuelPak? I'm not sure I understand what you mean my "fuel only" either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Wild07
I first used an AEM F/IC then went to a Powermod piggyback unit.
I have shielded the ignition wires to the piggyback.

By fuel only, I mean that I used the piggyback to intercept the injectors only and not the ignition. As soon as I intercept the ignition so I can do boost referenced timing adjustments the bike almost wont run at all.

I managed to get it working by intercepting only the positive side of the crank sensor but it still has intermittent issues such as rough idle and big hesitation in transition through 4000 rpm. If I remove the ignition intercept it purrs like a kitten.

The bike is for drag only, running a water to air intercooled GT2860 with decompressed motor and C16 fuel. SOme say I dont need to worry about timing retard on boost but others sayits too risky. I plan to push it to 15psi of boost.

Thanks Wild07
I first used an AEM F/IC then went to a Powermod piggyback unit.
I have shielded the ignition wires to the piggyback.

By fuel only, I mean that I used the piggyback to intercept the injectors only and not the ignition. As soon as I intercept the ignition so I can do boost referenced timing adjustments the bike almost wont run at all.

I managed to get it working by intercepting only the positive side of the crank sensor but it still has intermittent issues such as rough idle and big hesitation in transition through 4000 rpm. If I remove the ignition intercept it purrs like a kitten.

The bike is for drag only, running a water to air intercooled GT2860 with decompressed motor and C16 fuel. SOme say I dont need to worry about timing retard on boost but others sayits too risky. I plan to push it to 15psi of boost.

Should of stuck with the AEM IMHO, but as fair as timing, stock timing is your best bet. All the guys that I know that race prostreet (500+HP) still run stock timing tables.

I’m not a motorcycle tech, but I'm a Generac and HVAC tech.

I think a bad spark plug restistor can cause interference.
Non-linear loads can give generator problems.
Are you running any aftermarket LED or HID lights, or light bars?

How did you ground the piggy back?

Last edited:
Back