I need help on a 2005 busa problems to watch out for

rambo23

Registered
I have my eye on a 2005 busa but I dont know what to look for anything you can help me out wit I am a newbee when I comes to bikes and I dont want to get burned could you anyone give me an idea what I should looking for when I go and check this bike out all help will be greatly appreciated

have you ever purchased a used car? If so, do you remember what you looked for on that used car? engine knock, suspension wear, possible collision marks, paint mismatch from a touch up..etc.... There are many things to look for when purchasing a used vehicle or bike or used anything.

Look at the chain, does it looked abused not well taken care of? That is the fastest way to spot poor care practices. The chain can show you the character of the owner. is it clean? dirty? does the chain look like it has seen hell? Is it a brand new chain? how many miles are on the chain... even sprockets? (sprockets and chain almost always have to be replaced as a complete set... very few reason to not do so).. The chain is the most obvious way to tell if a bike is taken care of or not.

next.. he might tell you the oil was changed at every 3k miles.. ask him if he had it serviced or if he did it himself.. if he had it serviced he might still have receipts.. if so ask to see them.
sit the bike in an upright position, look at the oil measurement line, is it where its supposed to be? is the oil black as night? does it look like it is used beyond its life cycle?

Frame wear, how does the swing arm look.. not only on the most visible portion.. but inside where its hard to clean.. you know, the spot everyone hates cleaning.. next to the tire, in front of the tire.. i hate cleaning this area, always seem like road grime just loves this spot (maybe because its right next to the circular object that is tossing road grime all over it..)
take a look at the frame, and if you can ask the owner to remove the fairings then do so. Any signs of dropping the bike are always taken seriously no matter how "lite" it may have fallen.

tires.. they used? new? worn beyond limits? steal belts showing? also signs of poor maintenance practices.

Brake fluid.. is it in the recommended fluid levels? is it pretty dark? same goes for clutch fluid levels and color.. if it looks dark or low it is another sign of poor maintenance practices.

Coolant levels and color.. is it all nasty and ready to be changed? the coolant hoses worn out and need to be changed?

do all the lights work?

does the horn work?

what modifications have been done to the bike and by whom?

how many miles are on it, when was the last time he checked all the frame bolts for their torque? After the dealership sells the bike, they the new owner come in and do a post use break in torque on all the nuts and bolts.. this ensures the bike is still properly held together and will not fail on you while riding. every few thousand miles these frame bolts should be checked for looseness. I know a lot of people who do not do this and have not had any problems... my question is... why risk it?

if you have more questions you can pm me..

transmission damage. This is not unique to the Busa or the 05. People bend shift forks not shifting correctly.

If you are "new" to bikes, might be worth paying a pro to have a PPI (PrePurchase Inspection) done so that both obvious/hidden or known/unknown problems will be hashed out before the purchase.

rub ur fingers behind the fairings where the cushing is for excessive oil leaking... if there is any oil on ur finger after u do it then need to be warry

oh and if he says he has any performance upgrades done to the engine or anything that u cant see or be able to tell by urself that it has been done unless he has paperwork to prove it from a shop then consider it not done.. not just a receipt saying he bought it. but actually saying that the shop installed it and everything

est bet would be to find a local hayabusa.org member and take them with you to look at the bike you are interested in.:thumbsup:

Back