k8 died last night...

FTMFW

Registered
what a frustrating evening. long story short i rode about 15 miles last night, made a left turn, and the bike shut off, felt like i hit the run switch with my hand by accident or something. no FI light, gauge says 'check', but thats it. ive got a pmr tether, checked that roadside, seemed ok. checked kickstand/tipover sensor, ok. also, it was showing the coolant sensor maxed out in the red, no fans on, but wasnt not overheated.

this weekend i swapped exhausts, put in a new clutch, put on brocks threaded lowering links (ive got a rubbing problem but the catalyst tail should fix that), changed the oil.

ive got a boost by smith ecu editor/airshifter/n20 harness installed, and i soldered in a new switch as the one that was on the harness originally felt faulty, it wouldnt 'click' into either position well enough for my liking.

any thoughts? im at a family party and im itching to get out there and work on the bike, i'd love to have it diagnosed tonight!

If you cycle the thumb switch does the coolant gauge cycle and CHECK go away?
Check the female pin sockets on the PMR teather. I've had 3 get spread enough this year to cause issues. From your description you've got an open in the ignition power feed.
Posted via Mobile Device

has the recall been performed or have you seen if your bike is in the range? there is a recall on the ignition switch wire routing causing them to become to tight when you turn and killing the bike.

has the recall been performed or have you seen if your bike is in the range? there is a recall on the ignition switch wire routing causing them to become to tight when you turn and killing the bike.

hmmm thats possible.

i went out there and checked a few things, the 15a fuse for ignition was blown. ive got a wiring print but i cant see the damn thing its too small, going to try to get to kinkos to have it enlarged and laminated so i can get deeper into it. put a new fuse in it, starts runs fine, just need to find why it blew!

a member on this forum mentioned that the rectifier is a recall on the k8 but i am not 100% sure on that. hope you get it hashed out.

That was the first thing that came to mind!!

call the stealer and they can tell you. if you bought it new you shouldve gotten something in the mail. i just got my second or third one the other day. i have already re-routed my wires when i replaced the triple tree

zukrecall.png

Last edited:
Back