No Oil Pressure

bigjames

Registered
I was doing an oil change, about 45min or so after I had round it. I drained the oil replaced the filter, put new oil in, but when i went to started it back up, my oil pressure like didnt turn off after about 30sec so i shut it off. Messed around with it still nothing. I read that particles and clutch fibers can clog the oil strainer so i proceeded in seeing if i had anything clugged. Took off the oil filter very little oil, then cooler didnt have any either. So took off the oil pan to have a look at the strainer and took it off and it looked like i didnt have a thing in it, and also there was not debris in my pan. I Checked the pressure valve and it worked fine, everything looks perfect. Reassembled everything not seeing a problem, replaced oil, and still no pressure. This leads me to think the oil pump, but its a 2006 stock hayabusa with 17k, and since it was working fine before i changed the oil and it doesnt. Ive began taking off the clutch to get to the pump, thats where im at now.

Last edited:
WOW you sure the filter is ok, took all of the plastic cover off of it, and that there is nothing in it. I would get another oil filter seems it started when it got changed, just in case you got a bad one before you go tearing down the motor.

Not a techy myself good luck

Last edited:
Yea i made sure, I tried loosening the filter and turning the starter over to see if any oil came out and nothing

Any chance you didn't put the plug back before pouring in the fresh oil, and as a result all your fresh oil went right out of the bike?

Any chance you didn't put the plug back before pouring in the fresh oil, and as a result all your fresh oil went right out of the bike?

...im pretty sure he would have noticed 4 extra quarts of oil on the ground or in the pan...
8 quarts is alot of oil

Are you basing the fact you have no oil pressure on your oil light coming on or do you have and actual oil pressure gauge on your bike?

The reason I ask is because I have had the oil pressure sensor for the "idiot" light get clutch fibers in it and cause it to think there is no oil pressure. I had another one and installed it and the light went out.

I am not sure is you can clean them, I just threw the clogged one out.

i am not very familiar with the busa sump system, but in automotive the oil pump picks up from the sump then right to the filter. i think that you had the right idea by checking the filter for oil. it sounds like the pump lost its prime, pretty odd... if this was a car my next step would be to disable the ignition, then crank it with the oil filter off. this should restore the prime to the pump.

I tried cranking it without the ignition wires on and with the filter off, and nothing, I took of the oil pump just to check it out and turning it over it feels like its a couple rough spots, so im going to get a second oppion and maybe switch it out with another and see what happens

I tried cranking it without the ignition wires on and with the filter off, and nothing, I took of the oil pump just to check it out and turning it over it feels like its a couple rough spots, so im going to get a second oppion and maybe switch it out with another and see what happens

good luck let us know how it turns out

what do you mean the pump has rough spots? Do you mean on the suface of the lobes?
Since you've alrady ripped so much apart, put the pump back in, make sure yo've got 4 quarts of oil in the engine, put some oil in the oil filter as well and turn the pump gear with your finger. After about 10-20 or so roations you should see oil start coming out of the trans shaft.

what do you mean the pump has rough spots? Do you mean on the suface of the lobes?
Since you've alrady ripped so much apart, put the pump back in, make sure yo've got 4 quarts of oil in the engine, put some oil in the oil filter as well and turn the pump gear with your finger. After about 10-20 or so roations you should see oil start coming out of the trans shaft.

Wow :( I hope thats not all it needed seemed kinda strange that the pump would stop working after an oil change. I will keep this in mind if it happens to me after an oil change

Always fill your filter with oil before you put it on. Fill it up, let the oil soak in, do it a couple more times till its mostly full and your oil light will go out almost instantly with every oil change. I hate to say it but doing that would probably have 99% fixed this whole problem :thumbsup: Putting on a dry filter can often cause an air pocket/prime problem during an oil change, and your oil light will take forever to go out.

Wow :( I hope thats not all it needed seemed kinda strange that the pump would stop working after an oil change. I will keep this in mind if it happens to me after an oil change

No, this should never be needed. Since he already ripped into everything is the only reason why I suggest he prime it manualy.

Always fill your filter with oil before you put it on. Fill it up, let the oil soak in, do it a couple more times till its mostly full and your oil light will go out almost instantly with every oil change. I hate to say it but doing that would probably have 99% fixed this whole problem :thumbsup: Putting on a dry filter can often cause an air pocket/prime problem during an oil change, and your oil light will take forever to go out.

Anytime you put a new oil filter on an engine the filter should be preloaded with fresh oil. :beerchug:

I preloaded the oil filter on my cars but the filter on a car hangs vertically... How you do that to a bike when you put oil in the filter won't it just spill out trying to put it in since it's horizontal??? I have been doing it wrong :banghead:

you can still fill the horizontal mounted filter at least 1/4 of the way... Just keep adding a little until it begins to spill out when you hold it horizontal. Whatever you do don't spin the filter fast when you screw it back on. :laugh:

If you have the pump off put some vaseline in between the gears of the oil pump and this will help it "prime" alot quiker. You can spin the pump gear by hand and it will "prime" the pump.

I took the pump apart didnt see anything wrong put it back together and on the bike and did a manual prime and it worked .:thumbsup: so i dont know what the problem was but everything is good now Thanks

Back