Busa starts runs won't restart

Kinkster

Registered
help needed
bike starts ok rides fine but when ever i stop and try to start it up again the battery is flat. Please advise.

check your battery voltage before you start it, and then with it running. you should have a noticeable increase. 12ish not running, and then 13ish running.

if that is the case it means your charging system is working.

when the bike is hot, it will take more amperage to crank over. if the battery is marginal, it will not support the additional amperage required. possible that your starter is drawing excess... more likely the battery is on the way out.

Mine did the same thing this week. Once it cools it starts right up. Ive searched starting problems here, read that whole giant post and nobody seems to know what the real problem is. Could it be as easy as a battery? I hope so.

Welcome to the oRg. As already suggested, check your rectifier and voltage at the battery with the bike running. We need a little more information. :welcome:

Whats it supposed to read at the rectifier and battery? That way I got something to go by.

check your battery voltage before you start it, and then with it running. you should have a noticeable increase. 12ish not running, and then 13ish running.

when the bike is hot, it will take more amperage to crank over. if the battery is marginal, it will not support the additional amperage required. possible that your starter is drawing excess... more likely the battery is on the way out.

do what he said

Charging system works checks out perfect. As long as the bike doesnt get hot, you can start it fine. Im gonna try the bump the motor thing next time and see if that works. 50+pages and nobody's got a definitive answer...

Last edited:
service manual will give you a definite answer on readings. i have the ones on top of my head for gen2 as i just basically had the same problem. but they may or may not be correct for gen1, so i dont wanna mislead you on info.

do you have to charge the bike back up after you ride for a while or just wait for it to cool?

Last edited:
Charging system works checks out perfect. As long as the bike doesnt get hot, you can start it fine. Im gonna try the bump the motor thing next time and see if that works. 50+pages and nobody's got a definitive answer...

what are the symptoms and sorry didnt see your first post. must have skipped it somehow.

i gave the answer at the bottom of that thread but vagabon1 never tried it or answered after.

im guessing yours is a 03 and up busa... its the starter limiter assy that becomes weak with time. take it apart (or buy a newe one) and shim it with an extra washer... problem solved.

No its the bike in my sig. 2000 Busa. Always starts properly when cold. After a ride, when the bike is hot, by that I mean the temp gauge is around half, you cant restart it. Now, if you wait say, 15 mins- it will start like nothing was ever wrong. But try it within that 15 mins and you get nuttin- just a click, just like everyone else, the bike wont even turn over- just a click. Its like its heat soaked or something. Kinda like an old small block chevy with headers, when the solenoid gets hot.
This pisses me off because...
1: Ya cant go into a store for 1 minute without leaving it running.
2: Ya cant stop to talk with a friend for 5 mins, then go- ya gotta wait 10-15.
3: Its embarassing when you have the icon of sport bikes and it wont start !
4: When you read though 1000 posts about no starts and no-one knows why !
Rant over- sorry

Mine did the same thing this week. Once it cools it starts right up. Ive searched starting problems here, read that whole giant post and nobody seems to know what the real problem is. Could it be as easy as a battery? I hope so.
Usually folks overlook the simple things and jump right into the complex stuff. The most likely culprit is going to be a battery on the way out (or even dirty/loose connections), and that will be the smartest place to start checking :thumbsup:

Yeah, Im a shadetee mechanic and cleaned them already all the way to the starter. I guess I'll throw a battery at it and see what happens...

Could you explain why when the bike is hot it takes more current to crank and by how much?

hi it is an issue known as heat soak, and what happens is that as the windings in the starter get hot they require more amperage to function.

how much more current does it take? hmmmm... i would bet that if i were an electrical engineer i could give you a formula, but instead i can say that the amount of draw is related to the amount of heat.

if your starter draws more of a load than your battery can supply, it will not crank your engine.

last year i had the battery start to go on my busa, and one day i stopped for a coffee refill in my thermos. i come out, and no crank. rats. after about three or four days of this i put a switch inline with the headlight fuse, enabling me to shutoff my headlight during cranking. i squeaked another three months from my tired battery.

Batteries are sneaky bastar*s, they'll have you thinking all kinds of other things are wrong :laugh: ALWAYS make them the first thing you verify is good :thumbsup:

Back