'09 Overheating (??)

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
I have an '09 with only 450 miles on the clock, and was enjoying a nice ride this afternoon. Got her home, put kickstand down while opening garage door, and brought her into the garage "walking" her in with some help from her own power.

Got her into the garage, and was in the process of thinking about shutting her down when she did so herself. No switches were flipped, no change in kickstand position, no nothing. She just shut down, the fan spun down, the oil light came on, and the temperature gauge traveled up to the top of its range of travel.

She fired right back up when I tried a moment later.

She seems to have plenty of nice, clean oil. I was not riding her very hard before bringing her in, and it wasn't exceedingly hot today (upper 80s or low 90s, not unusual).

I can't deal with this if she does this somewhere on the road. Would die from embarrassment at a new Hayabusa breaking down on the road, for one, and more than that simply don't have time to deal with being stranded by a brand new bike.

Bad enough that a trip to the shop (and at least a week of not riding her) are in the future.

Any ideas what I can check? I thought overheating problems were a thing of the past on the Gen IIs.

I did notice today that the fan actually turned on today (as she was being ridden into the apartment complex. Not sure she's done that before today, and I've had her a couple months almost.

Now I'm afraid to ride for fear of being stranded. Grrr....

Thanks,

Mike

Addendum... rode for about 30 minutes tonight and had no issues. Temperature gauge never exceeded the halfway point, since ambient temperature was cooler. Temp gauge was not much above halfway point when stall occurred earlier today after walking bike into the garage. Temp gauge got just above halfway point this evening while parked, but no fan and no stall.

I have checked oil and coolant... both are within required levels.

Thanks,

Mike

Something doesn't sound right for sure ?
I live 200 miles south of you and when bike was stock as well as now nodded it's never gotten anywhere near 'hot' or overheated ?
Almost 8,000 perfect miles .

Back