Chain Breaks - Bike Done!!!

ashstudly

Registered
After doing my usual pre-ride lube and check of the chain, tires, etc., I head out to take the long way to work. Living in Salt Lake City I'm lucky to have numerous different routes available to take and head out for a 120 ride!

About 75 miles into it I'm doing about 80 MPH on the freeway. I start to get a slide head shake which was odd. After a a couple seconds it goes away. Then about 5 seconds later....bang! Something slams my boot and pulls it off the peg. I see in my rear-view mirror my chain sliding down the asphalt as I'm pulling over. I notice that I have no clutch and can't shift. When I stop I notice oil pouring out from under the bike. Looking closely I see a three inch chunk missing from the side of the case!!!

I'm home now after a buddy got my bike and I ride. Haven't been able to make myself take off the fairing and look at the damage as I know its bad. I've currently got 4 bikes including a brand new BMW 1200GSA. That being said my 2006 Black and Grey Hayabusa is my favorite one to ride. I've put 18K on it the two years that I have owned it and always meticulously maintained it. Now I sit here broken hearted. Never thought I would get so down by a motorcycle! At least I have my other bikes to ride while I decide what to do with it.

you can pickup anopther Gen1 case for a pretty good price. You'll probably need a water pump and some shift/clutch stuff as well. If you do repair it all make sure you get one of these:

P5283286.jpg

consider yourself lucky! exactaly like Commuta said. not too spendy/complicated of a fix. just lucky the chain flew off out the back and not wrap itself around the front sprocket and whip...
glad it didn't amount to anything more serious.!

please post pics when you pull it apart..i can only imagine the carnage..good thing you have more than one bike though :thumbsup:

there are lots of them on the board sold by site sponsors. The one in the pic isn't one of them. Talk to Goldenchild, APE, Schnitz, tobefast, PMR, etc... I'm sure anyone of them have got one available. :thumbsup:

That case protector looks exactly like what I need! Brand? Price?

Got mine from Canadian Mike two years ago, about $100. Not sure if he still makes them but worth a shot. He is usually on the other busa site as he is a sponsor there.

A little over 16K on the bike and 4K on the chain/sprockets. It was a clip on masterlink. I had a shop in Georgia put on the new chain and sprockets and honestly had not paid close attention to the orientation of the clip. My guess is that it was somehow installed incorrectly since I've yet to hear of a properly installed clip malfunctioning. My guess is at some point in time during the ride the clip work it's way off somehow and the rest soon followed. Goes to show you ALWAYS inspect your equipment regardless of their reputation.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to dig into it to see all of the damage.

Never run a clip type on a big bike like the Busa.Chain will always break at the weakest link.Had to be at the link...Again let us know..Very curious.

Back