09 and Bizzare HID Problems

Craash

Registered
I ordered a low beam (45K 35W) and a high beam (45K 55W) HID kit from DDM (HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning) for my new 2009 (just went over 1K miles).

The install went flawless, thanks in part to this thread: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/108811-h-i-d-s-install-my-08-hayabusa.html

The low beam work fine, and was very bright, and when when I selected high beams, both lights came on and were bright.

After adjusting the hids, I headed off on a ride. About 15 minutes later, I noticed that when I would press the high beams, the high beam would flick on then right back off. I drove back home, checked all my connections again, and the high beam was once again working as it should - I didn't find anything that seemed loose. I took back off, and before I even was out of the neighborhood, the problem returned. Since I had stacked the 35 w and 55w, I though it might be heat related. I unstacked them but the issue persisted.

I ordered a 2nd 45K 35W kit and replaced the 45K 55W kit tonight (by this time, I can get to the light assembly in about 5 minutes I've done it so many times). I let it set in the garage and idle until the radiator fans kicked on. The new high beam seemed to work flawless, even switching back and forth between high/low. I shut the bike off, let it set for a 15 minutes, fired back up, and again the lights worked as they should. Time for a test drive.

Damn, same problem once again before I got out of the neighborhood. :newburn: Keep in mind this is an entire new high beam HID kit. It was a nice evening, so I went ahead and rode a hundred miles or so. When I got back home, I pulled into the garage and shut the bike off. I switched the ignition back on, switched to high beams, and they turned right on :banghead:

I'm out of ideas. I'm considering putting the stock high beam back in, and just running the hid on the low side.

Any nuggets of wisdom for a frustrating HID install?

Last edited:
Well I had hid high and low on my last busa (01). Sometimes the high beam would fllick on then back off. But if I turned off then back on it would usually stay on. But now with my 06 I just went with hid low beam kept stock high beam plus I have the "pass" button which flashes the high beams and with hids they aren't bright when they're first on but have to warm up so flashing the stock high beam works great.
Posted via Mobile Device

My problem was the high beam, once off, wouldn't come back on! Anyway, I ended up putting the stock high beam back in, and have had no problems sense.

Hi you all.
Your problem is being my problem. After installing HID on the high beam it simply gives up and switches of.
But one thing is for sure I will not give up and put back that yellow conventional H9...
I used relays for low and high beam to avoid the peaks to go trough the circuitry and installed a couple of thick wires (4mm) from the battery to those relays once I was having my dashboard clock resetting all the time and that I got solved wilt this relays, bus my high beam keeps going off .
Today I noticed that even if the relay coil doesn’t get the 12 V when I pull the high beam, the BLUE LED in the dashboard goes on anyway. And may new attempt will be getting that signal from somewhere and then power my relay. This way Im sure the high beam will not let me down.
Ill let you know further advances

By the way, this is due to the current measurement on the circuit to analise is the lamp is ok or not. Once we use a relay or a HID that uses far less current than the stock H9 Lamp it simply switches that circuit off.
It only happens on the 2008 onwards model

What was simply fast enough is becoming too smart…

I had a similar problem, but mine ended up being a bad bulb out of the box.

I installed both high and low beam (2008 Gen II) and everything went well. Both lights worked fine and seemed to do so until I shut the bike off. I had it apart for other mods at the time and once getting it all put back together about 2 weeks later, only the low beam would work. The high beam would flash on and then right back off if I flipped the switch. I swapped harnesses and ballasts/igniters and came up with the same results. Some times the high beam would come on, but after about 2 hours of messing with it I gave up. I ordered a new high beam set and installed it from under the cowl instead of trying to go behind the cluster. Install was much easier this way and everything worked great first time around and it is still working great.

i have installed a 55W VVME HID Bulb for 3 months, everythining is OK.

Back