Wont crank over

dozer919

Registered
Ok Im stumped,

I rode my bike for about an hour, it ran great like normal. I went to go ride the next night and the electrical system went nuts. I turned on the key, my counsel lit up and gauges jumped like normal, but my headlight didnt come on. I clicked the kill switch to run and the pump primed, tried to start it and I could hear what I believe is a relay clicking very quickly. In the rear. We jumped it with another bike and it started thinking it was the battery. With the bike running connected to my buds running bike I pulled the ground side of the jumper cable off of my battery and my bike died instantly. Tried to spin it over a few times and just the clicking. Put it on a charger for a night and it got worse. Put a battery tester on it after charging and I got 13.4 volts. Try to start it, this time i turned the key on and the counsel was dim and reacted slowly, the needles froze in the middle of the jump and when I flipped the kill switch to run the pump wouldnt prime, I just heard the same clicking, but rapidly I tried to start it and the counsel about dies and when I turn the kill switch off the clicking stops and the counsel gets brighter. I said screw it I am friends with a few very good mechanics on drag teams and ill have them look at it. I got impatient and tried to figure it out a week later. it hadnt been on a battery charger for a week, tested the battery before I started and got 13 volts. So I dont think its the battery. Any advice? I think ive narrowed it down to the relay on the subframe connected right after the main 30 amp fuse. But I cant tell if its bad or not.

put a load tester on the battery. It may be showing 13 volts but it could have a dead cell. If your bike starts and runs with jumper cables attached but dies as soon as you disconnect it that leads be to believe it is battery related. Another thing to try is get it running and check it to see if your charging syster in working. At 5000 rpm with your highbeam on you should get between 13.4 and 15.1 volts at the battery. The book does say that the battery should be fully charged when you do this test.

Back