Gen I or Gen II radiator better?

Badride

Registered
Is a Gen II with dual fans better at keeping one cool than a Gen I with dual fans with Muzzy blades?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but thought I'd add this in:
I'm in central TX where it's ****ing HOT right now and my Gen I's ability to keep it's temperature spot on 180 degrees (I have a GSXR750 Cluster with digital temp) is absolutely amazing. I do have a muzzy fan which seems to help get the temperature down quicker when it actually runs. The fan will come on if sit idling for a very long time at a light and the temperature creeps all the way up to 220, but just as soon as I get moving, the temperature quickly drops down to 180 again. By comparison, my CBR1100xx runs MUCH hotter. :beerchug:

the upper radiator hose connection has a different configuration between the Gen1 and Gen2. I've "heard" the Gen2 rad is more efficient than the Gen1 but that maybe more realted to the dual fan setup. I was going to test this but went a different route.

the upper radiator hose connection has a different configuration between the Gen1 and Gen2. I've "heard" the Gen2 rad is more efficient than the Gen1 but that maybe more realted to the dual fan setup. I was going to test this but went a different route.

I had heard the same thing but I would like to know for sure. That is why I wondered if there was a difference between them if both radiators had dual fans.

I flushed the anti-freeze out of the system yesterday. Filled with water, ran it up to operating temp, shut it off and drained the system. I did this twice. Then I filled it up with Evans NPG-R and brought it back up to operating temperature. When I shut it off this time the temp hand went up but didn't go alll the way into the red like it did with water/anti-freeze. It also didn't puke back into the over flow tank. Initial oberservation is that the Evans may have helped. I don't want to put the plastic back on yet as I have to drain the system and refill with pure NPG-R. Also, after draining the system I plan to remove the radiator and install another Busa fan with the Muzzy blade. Then install the PC 680 temp switch along with a manual over ride switch. Hopefully these will help with my problem.

when you put the second fan on first try it with the OE fan blades before swapping to the stupid muzzy aluminim fan. Did I say stupid.. oops. :laugh:

I had heard the same thing but I would like to know for sure. That is why I wondered if there was a difference between them if both radiators had dual fans.

I flushed the anti-freeze out of the system yesterday. Filled with water, ran it up to operating temp, shut it off and drained the system. I did this twice. Then I filled it up with Evans NPG-R and brought it back up to operating temperature. When I shut it off this time the temp hand went up but didn't go alll the way into the red like it did with water/anti-freeze. It also didn't puke back into the over flow tank. Initial oberservation is that the Evans may have helped. I don't want to put the plastic back on yet as I have to drain the system and refill with pure NPG-R. Also, after draining the system I plan to remove the radiator and install another Busa fan with the Muzzy blade. Then install the PC 680 temp switch along with a manual over ride switch. Hopefully these will help with my problem.

I just added teh second fan blade, put on both muzzy blades, installed the lower temp switch and manual override. Havent been able to test and see how it does quite yet. Ive never had temperature problems really but doing it just to help the bike run cool.

I'm not saying they're bad. The aluminum fan blades don't sit as close to the rad as the OE ones. The pitch of the blades is less aggressive. The total surface area of the aluminmum fan blades is less than OE. People originaly back in 1999 were swaping in aluminum blades because of their concerns with the OE plastic ones melting. It wasn't to provide any extra cooling ability. Since those days it's almost become a standard mode to swap the blades. Another example of this is the small airbox mod. Many people did it on the Gen1 and when the Gen2 first came out some were also wanting to perform the same mod. The main reason they wanted to do this is because historicaly it showed gains in the performance of the engine (Gen1).

I never had an OE fan melt on me, but way back when I had purchased the aluminum fan so after tweeking it (changing fan blade pitch and balancing) I installed one. When I added my second fan I never purchased another aluminum fan and never had any troubles with it.

All in all, it's just food for thought. I don't tell anyone to buy an aluminum fan but I don't discourage it either. :beerchug:
This is the first I have heard bad things about the Muzzy fan blade....so whats up with that?

Thanks for the info, I glad to get the help.

I will still have to install the second fan with the Muzzy blade since that is what came on it when I bought the fan. I didn't get the stock blade with it. I will run this setup for a week or so.

I just bought a Gen II radiator w/fans off ebay. I guess it will take me a few days to get it ready to install as I have to get it plumed up since I have the turbo. I really need all the clearance I can get and the Gen II is thinner. I hope I can move the intercooler back some. The tire will rub it if I let the front end down where I want it to be. Also, the fork tubes hit it. I hope the Gen II will help with my clearence problem.

Back