After storage busa wont start!

Nick7

Registered
Hey guys and gals,

I finally got a break from work and had time to spend a lil time with the busa. They shipped it to Germany back in Jan. I replaced to oil, gas, and battery. I figured I would have an issue getting it started but I thought it would eventually start. But no luck... Any ideas on how or what i should do to get it started? Thanks in advance!!

Get the battery load-tested to see if it is dead/dying. If needed, buy a new battery and enjoy. Some guys here have used a car battery (engine NOT running) to jump a bike while some caution that this is risky since the car has too much juice for your bike and might cause damage. Best of luck!

What do you mean by "won't start"? What exactly is it doing? Nothing? Is the pump priming? Lights coming on? Gauge self testing? (assuming it is a Gen I)

Do not take this the wrong way but bike is on side stand, not in gear when you tried to start it, right?

BTW, did the bike sit with the new battery since JAN? If YES, then battery may have been drained to the point it cannot crank the engine to life. Best of luck!

Hey, just thought I might post on this. I am also in Germany(Wiesbaden). I would disconnect the fuel line and make sure the the pump is priming.

Also, Check your fuses. Something might have poped, you never know. Take the air filter out and make sure a damn mouse didnt make a nest in the air box.

you could take the air box off and put a little fuel in the carbs to see if she fires up and that would tell you something as well.

Hope these help some.

buddha65281

wow thanks for all the help so far... the battery is new as of yesterday not Jan. it is a gen 1 (05). when it turn it on to ignition the gauges do run the test and light come on. i tried to start it in neutral and in gear while holding it up straight and while it was on the side stand. you can hear the starter trying to turn the motor. but that is about it. i hope this brings out some more ideas. i will check the air filter in the morning when the sun comes back out. thanks again!!!

even though the battery is new have you checked the voltage with the multimeter. ive had some chargers go bad before and show a batt is charged. take it off and they are as dead as when they went on.

i think we need some clarification as to what you meant about starter trying to turn the motor need to know if the motor is cranking over and just not starting or if the motor wont even turn over but you can hear the starter ???

so that would rule out the battery.... idk someone is bound to chime in that knows what they are talking about im thinking that maybe if the starter is spinning but engine isnt then maybe your starter clutch has an issue or have you removed your spark plugs and checked them ? while your there look down into your cylinders see if anything looks wrong like fluid in the cylinders ... stuck open injector would hydrolock the engine... like i said i dont know but wanted clarification about the not turning over

The motor is not cranking over, but I can hear the starter.

Sometimes a gentle tap with a hammer will free a bad starter. Can you remove it and bench test it? Also a bottle of Seafoam is always good to run thru the tank after it's been sitting for a while. It'll really clean out the fuel system, even though that doesn't seem to be the problem.

so that would rule out the battery.... idk someone is bound to chime in that knows what they are talking about im thinking that maybe if the starter is spinning but engine isnt then maybe your starter clutch has an issue or have you removed your spark plugs and checked them ? while your there look down into your cylinders see if anything looks wrong like fluid in the cylinders ... stuck open injector would hydrolock the engine... like i said i dont know but wanted clarification about the not turning over

Nick7,
Do you have a manual? If the starter motor is turning but the engine not cranking it is either the starter clutch or starter torque limiter. If the engine were hydrolocked I don't think the starter motor would turn after it engaged the engine. I am no expert, but I agree on pulling the plugs and cranking it to see if you are getting compression in the cylinders. And don't worry about jumping from a 12V car battery, the starter will only pull as much amperage as it needs to crank. Keep us posted, I would be very interested to see how this turns out.

I've had a similar Issue in the past caused by two things.

1. I had removed the battery and on refitting the battery, I forgot to attach the power commander negative lead result bike wont turn over so no start!

Having resolved that the bike would turn over but not start.

2:the give away in the end was that the fuel pump wasn't making any sound. and the temperature gauge immediately went to half way!! everything else said were good to go.

In the end it turned out to be the ignition switch!! to be honest I put some switch cleaner and lub down the barrel and gave the body of it a hit with a hammer to shock the components and it returned to working order, still works today..

this may be worth a shot tell tale is no fuel from pump.

good luck

Maurice.

I've had a similar Issue in the past caused by two things.

1. I had removed the battery and on refitting the battery, I forgot to attach the power commander negative lead result bike wont turn over so no start!

Having resolved that the bike would turn over but not start.

2:the give away in the end was that the fuel pump wasn't making any sound. and the temperature gauge immediately went to half way!! everything else said were good to go.

In the end it turned out to be the ignition switch!! to be honest I put some switch cleaner and lub down the barrel and gave the body of it a hit with a hammer to shock the components and it returned to working order, still works today..

this may be worth a shot tell tale is no fuel from pump.

good luck

Maurice.
I owe you a big one Gslooney I remembered to put the power commander on but I had it on the wrong post. I had it on positive instead of the negative. One crank it started. Thanks when you're in Mississippi ocean springs hit me up i owe you. My treat !!!!!

I owe you a big one Gslooney I remembered to put the power commander on but I had it on the wrong post. I had it on positive instead of the negative. One crank it started. Thanks when you're in Mississippi ocean springs hit me up i owe you. My treat !!!!!
Welcome,

I note this is your first post...

Take note this thread is from 2010 and the person you are referring to hasn't been on the site since 2011 and only had 2 posts....

Glad an old thread helped you out though....

If you plan on sticking around, take a walkabout over to the "new owners forum" and introduce yourself to the gang....

Back