starter clutch-help needed!!

medic357

Registered
STARTER CLUTCH..Help Needed

Ok, i really need help here. I am having problems with my 02 hayabusa with 13,000 miles. The problem im having is when i try to start the bike it doesn't start right away. i have to keep pressing and releasing the clutch. after a while it will turn over. i have already charged the batter to the fullest. Im trying to figure out how do i know if the starter clutch is going bad or if its another prob that i need to look into?

Last edited:
if you have aftermarket levers...try different settings.

I found with my shorty's it will not start or will not always start on anything higher than #3.
If you have stock levers....try starting it at differnt clutch positions.
Possibly something might need adjustment.....???
just a thought......good luck

yea i thought the same thing then i replaced them with some new chrome ones. But thanks for the reply. :beerchug:

The only reason the clutch lever has to be pulled in is so that the safety switch goes on to start the bike. I have my bike in neutral and the clutch switch is a seperate button. I don't even pull in the clutch lever.
If you're bike isn't starting right away it's more than likely a battery issue. The OE battery is on the weak side. Most upgraded to the "14" to get a little more jump out of things. You need to be very carefull with your bike since it's an 02 while starting. A kickback from the starter gear can cause serious damage. Many people upgraded to the newer starter clutch gears and added in the least a case protector sleeve to prevent any damage to the case.

Take lever off put bike in nuetral an manually push clutch trigger with finger if it starts every time it's the lever not the starter clutch

Back