Feels like I'm on a bumpy road

skippy

Registered
At low speeds (anything below 60) it feels like I'm rolling down a slightly washboard road. It seem especially bad if I keep the revs low and less noticably if the revs stay higher(above5k). I've softened the front and rear preload with no real change. The bumpiness has no real rythym to it and almost feels like a slight ignition problem,but that doesn't really explain why it completely disappears at higher speed. This is a stock 2000 with one tooth down on the front and stock sprocket in the back. I was thinking a TRE may clear this up or possibly a power commander, but I'm a couple months from getting laid off and don't really want to throw money at the bike if its not going to help. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks for your help.

First thought is a worn chain and second thought is worn cush rubbers.

Is it just ride quality or do you hear the engine stuttering too?

Could be the timing retardation as you suspect. Probably more pronounced with the lower geared sprocket.

I just replaced the rear tire today and could not get the cush rubbers out of the wheel. Having come off a 929 I never had this problem with the honda. I did see on the rubbers it looks like there is a 'nipple' on the cush rubbers that fix them into the wheel so I didn't give it too much thought. I also noticed a little scrubbing on the rubbers(almost like a pencil eraser shaving). Are the cush rubbers a normal wear and tear item on these bikes? Never replaced them on my 929(46k miles). thanks

Let's cover first things first! Your preload has nothing to do with spring tension.

If it's riding stiff and you are feeling the bumps, back off on the compression a few clicks. The compression adjuster is located on the lower end of the fork leg and on the upper end of your rear shock. Try backing them both off 3 or 4 clicks and see what happens?

Have you had the suspension set up lately? Or have a kid running around that wanted to see if that screw driver you left on top of the toolbox would fit that screw slot on the fork? ???

None of the above. I purchased the bike in April and the original owner wanted the bike to handle like his gsxr1k so he thought that tightening the preload all the way would make it better. When I purchased the bike I backed off some of the preload(it was jarring the crap out of me over every little bump). What I have now, which I don't believe is a result of the suspension set up, is a bike that has an almost jerky ride quality at lower speeds on perfectly smooth roads.

I purchased the bike in April and the original owner wanted the bike to handle like his gsxr1k so he thought that tightening the preload all the way would make it better. When I purchased the bike I backed off some of the preload(it was jarring the crap out of me over every little bump).

The preload adjustment has absolutely no effect on the spring tension. Crank it all the way in or all the way out and it has no effect on how stiff it rides. Try the compression adjustment, you'll have much better results.

What I have now, which I don't believe is a result of the suspension set up, is a bike that has an almost jerky ride quality at lower speeds on perfectly smooth roads

So does it still ride stiff or is it just jerky at low speeds in first gear? If it's jerky at low speeds I'd try adjusting the chain first. A loose chain will have that effect. Also check how much ware you have in the cush drive. May be a combination of both.

Also if your throttle return cable is adjusted to tight, could have an effect as well.

I think I'm going to order some new cush rubbers. The ones in the hub were stuck and seem too be scrubbing off a little on the top. Its my understanding that these need to be able to move 'freely' in order to work correctly. I'll take a stab at that first and see what happens.

Get a good grip on the sprocket hub with the transmission in neutral and twist it forward and rearward. If there is no movement in the hub, you don't need new rubbers.

Check the chain adjustment first. Easy fix if it's loose!

Replaced the chain and sprockets last weekend and that helped a lot. Took a friend's advice and and put the compression and rebound at full soft. Seems to have helped out a lot. Still not quite where I would like it to be, but its much better. I also backed out some of the preload in the rear and the front preload is at factory settings (5 lines showing). Now the steering is a little slow so I plan on dialing in some stiffness 'til I get it where I want it. Maybe the bike is sprung a little stiff for my weight...not quite sure. I'm just trying to do the best I can with the tools and knowledge that I got.

Back