Does your trans do this???

MikeSomething

Registered
Sometimes I have to rock the bike forward to get it from Neutral into 1st gear from a dead stop... just wondering if that's normal-ish. Thanks.

If the engine isn't running or if you've been holding the clutch, then yeah, that's normal. After starting the engine let the clutch out a little, pull it back in and then shift into gear.

Me, I usually start the engine and let it run a little to warm up while donning my riding gear so I rarely experience the bike not wanting to go into 1st from neutral.

Guys, it does it w/ the bike running and I'm sitting at a light, even when it's shutoff and in Neutral. It does it maybe 1 out of 15 times. No clue if that's normal.

Does not sound normal from what you are describing. Has there been a time when you could have bent a shift fork?

Normal!

When it does it at a light, simply let the clutch engage slightly momentarily to spin the gears and she will slip into gear like butter! :beerchug:

Ive had mine drop in a little hard ,But not to where it wouldnt go in. My clutch play seems normal near the end of the release. I dont believe theres any air in the line and it isnt spongy; maybe a BUSA thing LOL

sorry my man but it's not normal.

You have the special LE model. There is an addendum to page #76 for your owners manual (You may not have received it if you've changed addresses in the past two years) to correct this problem of the tranny not freely engaging 1st gear.

This addendum to page #76 says: If 1st gear does not engage with the gentle nudge as it should then release the clutch disks by holding the lever firmly against the handle bar while violently stomping the sh-it out of the lever with heal of your boot until the bio-tch engages 1st gear! This directive should be used whether the engine is running or not!

If you have not received this addendum to page #76 please contact your nearest Suzuki Dealer at your earliest convenience!

Sincerely,
Suzuki Management Team

CAUTION! Suzuki Advisory: Keep a spare shift lever and shifting fork on hand in case of emergency!

:cheerleader:

If I stop suddenly in a higher gear, I run into the same prob. Gotta feather the clutch in and out and kick the gears down.

It is very common in Suzuki's in my opinion. There isn't anything wrong with your bike or clutch. Just do what has been suggested and slowly slip the clutch till goes into 1st. If you are having a hard time with in not wanting to go into other gears, you most likely have clutch issues you need to have addressed.

all my zuk's have this "problem" too. I had a honda guy ride my bike once and he said he had to really push the shift lever down to get it into first. he mentioned maybe switching oils. i think it is a suzuki thing...

:moderator:

yep. have had my busa for 7 years and its always done that. slip clutch and maybe a little roll. im sure there is a fix but i have got used to it.

Is the shift rod tight? no slop + is the arm on the spline shaft at a 90 degree with the shift rod?

I have been using an air shifter and when the linkage gets a hair loose and I don't catch it the result is that I have a hard time getting it into first gear. When the stuff is tight no issues. The 90 degree set up with the shift rod / arm is what was recommended to me for the bigest throw of the push - pull motion of the linkage.

Back